Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2001, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
What I mean is do you worry that you must have the BEST looking truck out their to pull your equipment?
NO!

A work truck is exactly that!. A truck for work. I could never justify shelling out 600 scones each month for a vehicle to get worked in. Small accidents happen. A ding here a ding there. After all, look at the type of work we do. And a new truck sure as heck isn't going to stay new for long anyway.

Here's what you do. Buy the truck trader magazine at your local convenience store. Do not buy an older truck off of a dealer. You have to be patient. Take your time, and buy off of a private owner. Once again I state, be patient. That is the key. You will find a good well maintained older truck from a private owner. You just have to look for it.

Now I don't see anything wrong with having a new truck if you can afford it for giving estimates. But if you are buying a brand new truck and using it for work, and using it as your main pleasure vehicle, well as my daughter would say, that's the big "L". I see guys all the time posting on here about being covered in dust or grass from blowout, and then I think, well I sure hope their work truck isn't also their pleasure vehicle too. Let your work truck be a dependable older truck, and let your pleasure vehicle be awesome!

I'm gonna try to post a pic of our work truck. It's takes me awhile to get these pics to scan so bear with me here.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1MajorTom

NO!

I could never justify shelling out 600 scones each month for a vehicle to get worked in.
We get a new truck every 2 years. I wouldn't pay that much either. You don't need leather seats so I would think $600 a month would be pricey for a new truck.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

This old 1985 truck..... 113,000 original miles. When we bought it had 80,000. 3 years running strong with just general maintenance except for replacing the CV joint on the drivers side twice.

First bought.. no lettering

Upclose to see the paint, no rust......

Let's keep things in perspective here. This is a work truck. Nothing wrong with keeping up an image. But I prefer to pocket my scones and bank them rather than buy new or lease a vehicle that isn't mine. Debt can be a huge burden, one that we don't have to face.

Lonestar: Homer said he pays $596.00 a month, that's sure pretty close to 600 bucks in my book.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lonestar: Homer said he pays $596.00 a month, that's sure pretty close to 600 bucks in my book.

I didn't see that and I stated I wouldn't pay that much for a WORK truck.

$250 month here.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
$250 month here.
uh, huh... and how much down?
Old 10-29-2001, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$0 plus tax title and license.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What? Chevy S-10?

Let us in on the secret, please...
Old 10-29-2001, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

F-250 XL Regular Cab V-10. It is a lease.

You can get a S-10 for $99 a month down here. Lease though.

Last edited by LoneStarLawn; 10-29-2001 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oops sorry. I went and looked at the price we were quoted and it was $267 a month not $250
Old 10-29-2001, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am right with you Jim and Major Tom!

I am all for nice stuff, and would love to roll up in a nice clean truck, with nice clean equipment, but the bottom line is, I don't have time. Maybe I don't make the time, but with a wife and two little girls, and the maintenance to keep my stuff working from day to day, I don't have time to keep the truck **** and span, nor can I justify spending big bucks on a work truck. When I get done working, I believe I am the dirtiest human being on the plannet. My workers look clean, but I look like I went 15 rounds with pig pen from peanuts. My work has to look great, if my truck looks nice, that is swell, but what people look at all week is the lawn I leave. As long as the truck does the job, I would rather put business money into the mowing and landscapeing equipment so I can do the best job possible.

Jay

I do love my Powerstroke just the same!