Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2001, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We lease to make sure there will be no down time with the turck. We think $267 is not that bad.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

When I first started last spring i had a 87' chevy 1ton diesal. A awsome work truck. I didn't have to care about scratching it up, or a little nic or ding, because all i had to do was paint over it to keep it looking good. Just like many others said "Dress for Success" i tried to keep it looking clean. I hauled two 21"s in the bed and really didn't go anywhere, i may have picked up 5 yards all summer.
This year I bought a 96" chevy Z71, looks great. Bought a w/b and trailer, "dressed everything up abit" kept it all clean and looking sharp. I have picked up almost 25 accounts this summer with people driving by, or seeing what kinda equiptment i use and the quality of work i do. i beleive that since i bacame more professional i gained more buisness. But on the downside I am much more concerned about this truck , i kick my own ass when i get a scratch of ding in it, and I'm extra careful.
Just something to think about
kyle
Old 10-30-2001, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My truck that I get when I turn 16 is a '72 GMC 350 V-8. GREAT TRUCK! It has some dings that I'm gonna get pulled out and I'm gonna paint the truck teal with metallic sparkles in it and then get vinyl truck signs on it. My grandpa and I were driving around in it and he punched it and got it up to 60 in town. LMAO. That was fun. First thing he says is "we need to get a new muffler for this thing when you get to drive it" I said, "nah, I love that!" This thing roars. I figure if I paint it and get it looking nice I should have no problems driving it around to jobs. It won't be rusty and won't have dings in it, it's just an older truck. Just about all of my competition has some P.O.S. that they got at the local dump but one guy has an almost brand new white Ford F-250 with a serious amount of truck signs. Old trucks rule!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-30-2001, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know how many times ive heard people talk about "that great resturant" they went to, its a little dive, dont look like much from the out side, and if u didnt know it was there, u would never notice it, BUT, it has the greatest food...... so, i guess my point is, if u pull up in a rolls royce, and have people skills like a baboon, u lose. now, if i pull up in a dumpy truck, and am knowledgable, speak in complete sentences, dont pick my nose, and am able to sell my product, i win. u get the point
Old 10-30-2001, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Let me ask this question. If nobody wants any debt, they want everything paid for so they can put "all that money" in their pockets...................what do you do at tax time? Surely you report everything don't you? What do you have to write off if everything is paid for and you owe nothing?

My accountant hasn't figured out how to let me keep all my money yet.

If I didn't owe on that truck and a mower I guess I would just give it to the Government each year and never enjoy anything.

Fess up, how do you do it.

I still have a klunker that I can put back into service if I can just figure out how to beat the system!
Old 10-30-2001, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Homer: if I can just figure out how to beat the system!

There's a lot of business write offs you can choose to have. Having a truck payment is just one that we don't choose.

Quote:
Shadybrook: I would rather put business money into the mowing and landscapeing equipment so I can do the best job possible.
Exactly!
Old 10-30-2001, 08:31 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I would rather have have the after tax income than supporting the UAW and the stockholders of the "big three".
Old 10-30-2001, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the LCO s around here have new trucks. And I am no exception. I have a 2001 chevy long bed, auto trans and 8cyl eng. But, as long as it doesnt backfire and smoke going down the road and is clean dont worry about it.
If your equipment and your person are clean thats what matters. Use proffesional looking paperwork and do a proffessional job and always use spellcheck lol. And my payment is only $320 per month. $0 down.

Last edited by KerryB; 10-30-2001 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

xofmot-you've got it all figured out after half a year i guess. must be all those $750, 000 homes you work on

obviously some people would like to see a brand new truck, with brand new equipment. but for the most part, bobbygedd has it bang on. i know of companies using beat up trucks and older equipment who have customers with 10 million dollar homes. the work is what matters.

and i say that even though we prefer to purchase new trucks to plow with. leasing for plowing is ridiculously expensive. but honestly i am envious of the companies using older trucks. more $ in their pockets.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-30-2001, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HOMER
Let me ask this question. If nobody wants any debt, they want everything paid for so they can put "all that money" in their pockets...................what do you do at tax time? Surely you report everything don't you? What do you have to write off if everything is paid for and you owe nothing?

My accountant hasn't figured out how to let me keep all my money yet.

If I didn't owe on that truck and a mower I guess I would just give it to the Government each year and never enjoy anything.

Homer,

The only problem with the tax write off is that for every dollar you spend for a tax write off you only save a fraction of that ( 43% tax bracket including self employment tax). If you spend a dollar and save 43 cents, still have 57 cents. If you don't spend the dollar, you still have a dollar.

Although I have to admit, the prospect of having the tax write off can make the payouts easier to swallow.