Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For me it is all about profit. If you can justify a $600/month truck payment when mine is paid for, I hope you are making a lot more than me. I keep my truck in good condition but it is still a 9 year old F250 diesel with 250k on it. Look professional but professional work is what keeps you in business.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HOMER
It must or I wouldn't be paying 596.00 a month like a dumbazz!
Whats being missed here is that Homer's 596.00 per month is paying for a vehicle which will go about 500,000 miles before any major problems, and will keep, or appreciate in value - especially now that Dodge is ruining the body style. . Not to mention that it gets about 20 mpg ( if we can round up 596 to 600, then 19mpg is 20 mpg).

Plus a big factor is that a Cummins powered Ram is fun to drive, it is the sports car of the 3/4 ton truck market!

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 10-30-2001, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the way to increase profits is NOT to increase your overhead then write off a small % at tax time. u have to pay taxes like it or not, but i try to keep the overhead down and the profits up. ill give uncle sam what i have to, only what i have to.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

BRUCES

If I don't spend the dollar I have 57 cents after taxes.
If I buy or lease a truck the whole dollar goes to the truck.
If I need the truck it's a great deal,
if I don't I shouldn't do it.

mark
Old 10-30-2001, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's a difference!

There is always the "new equipment vs. old equipment" arguement. It goes on in every working trade and it always will.

You have to remember one thing though......... You don't need new vehicles to look presentable and proffesional. Thats not the message a lot of people are getting from this. No one says you should have new trucks and trailers every year, but you should keep the one you have from dropping rust and body parts down the road as you drive away from your clients property.

Here's an example. This was my 22 year "OLD " truck that I just posted in another thread. I think you will agree that it doesn't have to be new to be good looking and clean.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2001, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very sharp guido!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I run a '92 C-3500 dump, 454/auto. Works great for our application. 166,000 miles on it. I keep it wasked and in good repair. Paid $6500 for it 11 months ago. It makes me money.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2001, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can justify it.
I can pay for it.
Maybe I am!
I enjoy it.
Don't regret it either.
I can get in mine any day of the week and drive to California or anywhere else I want to.........come home........hook up.........go back to work.

What I'm saving in fuel makes up that difference in payment over what I had...........a 98 Chevy with a thirsty 350.

Add your cheaper payments to the amount of your fuel bill on those gas burners and I'm sure you'll be close.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2001, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you can get by with an older rig for a couple of years and keep up on the repairs yourself then great. but i haven't heard anyone mention down time. if the truck or equipment isn't running you aren't making money -period.i had my share of garbage vehicles and junk equipment and the related headaches of repairing and paying lots of money for parts etc.it just doesn't pay in the long run to keep dumping money into junk-(trucks&mowers).i keep all my stuff clean and power washed,i don't think it's helped get any new accounts though-(some maybe).i think the people are scared off- afraid i'd charge too much $$$ with the nice rig and all.that's why they go with some scrub with the junk raggedy-ass rig (they think they're sorry for they guy and that he must really need the money).
Old 10-30-2001, 11:25 PM
Millenium Member

I think so. I keep all my equipment clean, I hope to get a lawnscape truck in the next two years and retire the Ford for personal uses only. Here is my truck & trailer:

Attached Images