Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks good! BUT- where do you put all the debris?-(hedge clippings, brush,stone,mulch etc etc,)
Old 10-31-2001, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We use the isuzu supers. bought new. 3 things: 1) won't break when you use them day in day out, and will continue that way with regular maintenance for 20 years or 300,000 miles. They are made to work. trucks from detroit are made to do everything and work SOME. no used or new ones unless your talking two tons and up are strickly and purposely built to work 2) rolling billboard- very professional, A nice trailer still looks like a trailer. when you close it up, your stuff is dry, hidden, secure, and you don't have to unhook it. 3) nobody here would buy a truck that any of us have used to pull a trailer day in and day out, knowing the wear and tear it puts on any truck. We all want to buy the creampuffs that have NEVER been used to tow- because we know WE want to be the one that "tows" the life out of it. and that life ain't 20 years. it's probably 2-4. after and during that you are replacing parts not designed for the load. I have watched 1 tons go from brand new to dang tired in 4 years pulling a trailer. and thats after you replace the brakes 5 times. The isuzus and other heavy trucks do what anyone in the freight business knows. you should carry the load on the truck's back. and that back should be more than strong enough for the load. Period.

I am done replacing axles, breaks, radiators and everything else on trucks that will haul groceries for 20 years, and kids. but not trailers. and keep the stories about how old and strong your tow vehicles are to yourself. I walked that road with 10 tow vehicles in 20 years, and yes I did maintenance, and fixed NEW and used trucks constantly. I am done. go ahead & Buy your $ 40,000 1 tons and see where they are in 8 years after towing. theyre past done. the truck will fall apart around the diesel engine.
Dave g
Old 10-31-2001, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to say it is personal preference as to whether or not you want a new vehicle and it's payment. I personally like new things. That is part of my drive to work harder and achieve more goals and toys in life. I love getting into a new vehicle and turning the key and going. Not that they can't have their problems also. They should be a little more reliable than an older vehicle though.
I've been down the road of fixing up older vehicles and it gets tiring. It is never ending. Put in new brakes, then a wheel cylinder starts leaking. Well, can't put that in without braking a rusty line. On and on it goes.
Then an axle seal leaks and ruins the new shoes.
Starter, alternator, battery, fuel pump, hoses, belts. That's all the easy stuff.
Then halfway through winter the blower motor takes a dump and you freeze your nuts off for two days trying to fix it. Get that fixed and find out the thermostat is stuck and now your back under the hood.
How about the early to mid-eighties GM power windows that can barely go up and down anymore. Take those turds apart once.
Should we even get into the majors, like motors or trannies, rearends.
Oh yeah, don't forget the exterior looks.
Not all older vehicles are always trouble, but give them a little more time, they will be.
Like I said, it's personal opinion on where your money goes, and to each his own. Mine is going to the finance company.
P.S It should be "Do looks matter to you", not does.

Last edited by Randy Scott; 10-31-2001 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:10 AM
Millenium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LJ lawn
looks good! BUT- where do you put all the debris?-(hedge clippings, brush,stone,mulch etc etc,)
Debris is baggeg and hauled, mulch, stone, compost, and such are hauled by these guys: http://www.bluemaxmaterials.com No problem!!!
Old 10-31-2001, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

David,
I am with you on alot of your points. As hard as it is to accept it, you hit it on the head. However, we are dealing with all kinds of LCO's here that are in different stages of business and that Isuzu (which I personally would love) is not an option for the income that alot of us generate.

I would really love to get an Isuzu but I also would like a New ZTR (manufacturer not revealed) a new Walker, and build a nice workshop/office to keep it all in. The wish list is what keeps me going ahead. There is no disputing that there is a better vehicle out there but like mowers ya have to sometimes get the thing that fits "most" of your needs. I do completely agree that if you have 40 grand plus to pay for a truck then you should evaluate what that truck is gonna be doing for you. I might not ever get to that point;

But I can always dream and work towards it!

Good Luck.

Last edited by MOW ED; 10-31-2001 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW

I've got a headache from reading this thread.

I would show you guys a picture of my new Silverado but I cannot afford a camera with the high truck payments.(Smartazz comment). And the OLD 1987 I just sold looked like new.

I want to say more but feel that enough has already been said.

Chris
CP Mayhew, Inc.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

to me, the bottom line is profit. if u spend $50, 000 on equipment, and the higher insurance payments that come with it, ill need to work x amount of years to pay it off. if u finance it all, u also have to pay interest. lets face it, appearance is important in anything u do, but in this business we are not going to work wearing tuxedos and shiny black shoes. if u r young, single, and dont have alot of bills to pay, u can do it alot easier than a guy like me , who, supports a family of 6. i know with better equipment, u can do more work, have less downtime, and not work as hard. but, u also have more overhead. the saying is that x % of small businesses fail. i believe that is largely in part by investing alot into equipment, and still haveing to pay your bills(mortgage, utilities, kids clothes, school , food, etc) and being in the "development" stage of your business, when the sh*t hits the fan, u go under. i think in the end, it all evens out, actually, id give the edge to the guy with lower overhead. remember, profit is what takes care of the kids, not high expenses.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
....and being in the "development" stage of your business, when the sh*t hits the fan, u go under. i think in the end, it all evens out, actually, id give the edge to the guy with lower overhead. remember, profit is what takes care of the kids, not high expenses.
To each his own. I guess not having a new vehicle could cause you to go under too. If we all knew exactly why companies go under there wouldn't be a mystery on success. Everyone would do it.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IS THERE A "MYSTERY" TO SUCCESS? i dont think so, its obvious. every man has his own idea of what success is. the man that draws a line from where he is now(piont a) and where he wants to be(point b) and does whatever he has to do to get there, is a success. there are so many people who fail, its just alot easier to fail than it is to succeed.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

also, id like to add: many years ago, we took my 18 foot boat out in the ocean fishing. we were quite a way from home when the weather turned to hell. huge waves, high winds. it took us 3 hrs to get back, it usually takes 30 min from there. when we returned, we found out that 2 boats in the area had capsized, one was 32 feet long, the other 28 ft. ! the coast guard made a comment on this: its not the boat, its the MAN behind the wheel that matters.