Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a little help!

Doing a little research on power washers etc.. Have a small landscape maintenance business and i'm thinking about adding the power washing service. All my clients are residential. I need a power washer anyways for my equipment and house etc..... so why not buy one that is gas powered instead of electric. Would prefer to clean just driveways sidewalks patios and decks. HONDA is the brand I would buy since their small engines are very reliable.

What PSI do I need. minimum maximum etc?

What size of engine or HP?

Can I run a surface cleaner from a gas powered washer? Like the idea of a surface cleaner since it would be a BIG TIME SAVER and I COULD DO MORE.

To clean cement do I need cleaning solutions or could I just use water. I probably need more than just water to clean engine oil etc.

Thanks guys for all your help in advanced. I think the power washing service would really help in the hotter drier months like July and Aug. THANKS
Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You cannot possibly learn everything you need to learn about pressure washing overnight. I suggest researching the industry for awhile before jumping right in. Learning methods, equipment, chemicals and so on is the easy stuff. Its the marketing/sales and pricing stuff that is tough.

You mention you are looking for some fill in work in the slow hot months. In most parts of the country including mine here in Indiana, the super hot dry months of July and Aug are 2 of my slower months for residential work. Besides winter of course. This surprised me when I first got into the business but its true with almost everyother contractor I talk to. Its hot as you know what, kids are out of school, people take vactions and it is just a slow time until the kids go back to school in Sept, then it picks up again.

So you may want to reconsider using pressure washing for fill in work when the lawn business is slow during the same time.
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Well , I don't plan on starting a full time business pressure washing overnite but still would like to purchase a pressure washer and maybe have a few questions answered Pressure washing would just be a service on the side were I could make a few bucks. Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call Bob from http://www.pressuretek.com
He will help you set up the right way...
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Landscape Maintenance View Post
Well , I don't plan on starting a full time business pressure washing overnite but still would like to purchase a pressure washer and maybe have a few questions answered Pressure washing would just be a service on the side were I could make a few bucks. Thanks
Please understand I wasn't try to discourage you. What would you tell me if I said I wanted some advice on landscape maintenance because I was planning on offering those services during my slow months (July, August) of pressure washing?

All I was saying was: hey those are our slow months too so you might want to research or reconsider this plan, that's all.

If you want to research pressure washing then go to a PWing board and use the search function; Pressure Washing Forum
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Barry. I guess you read my other post. No worries. I was snow plowing last night and I am tired. I'll check out the other forum you suggested. Thanks.