Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using a water tank to feed your machine.

This year I'm going to have some jobs where there is no water available and I'm going to use a tank. Last year when I tried a tank it seemed as though the water wasn't leaving the tank fast enough to feed the pressure washer. Should I be running a 12v waterpump off the tank to get water there fast enough? Also I'm charging $50 an hour when I'm running of the customers water. I was thinking of charging about $75 an hour this year and another $25 if I have to use my water tank. Does this sound good? I don't really want to charge alot right now because my machine is only 3000 PSI Landa with a 13 H.P Honda and I'm trying to attain a customer base.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
This year I'm going to have some jobs where there is no water available and I'm going to use a tank. Last year when I tried a tank it seemed as though the water wasn't leaving the tank fast enough to feed the pressure washer. Should I be running a 12v waterpump off the tank to get water there fast enough?
Make sure you are using a 5/8" hose for the feed and that the connections are air tight. If your pressure washer is a direct drive you'll have to gravity feed from the tank, it won't draw water itself. If its belt driven it will suck the water from the tank in almost any position as long as air isn't getting into the line, but I'd put the outlet valve at the bottom of the tank if it isn't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
Also I'm charging $50 an hour when I'm running of the customers water. I was thinking of charging about $75 an hour this year and another $25 if I have to use my water tank. Does this sound good? I don't really want to charge a lot right now because my machine is only 3000 PSI Landa with a 13 H.P Honda and I'm trying to attain a customer base.
Not charging much right now to attempt to build a customer base? Think about that for a moment. That is a recipe for a customer base full of un-loyal price shoppers. You are setting yourself up to fail from jump street. People that buy on price will shop anywhere, its a fact. You want LOYAL customers that have paid for your services based on VALUE not price. You should be getting 75/hr no matter what. If you have to drag water there then charge $50 more or something. Usually it just isn't feasible or necessary to haul water around. 99.9% of the time I use the customers water source.
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said!
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Vent the tank, did you allow the tank to breath?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Well put Barry.
www.georgiaproclean.com
PWM
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Amazing that this post was just put up, I found it doing a search fir the exact same question. Wanting to use my pressure washer off a tank rather than a pressurized water source. So by gravity feeding from "the bottom" of the tank I am not running any risk of burning out the pump on the pressure washer from lack of initial water pressure?? Are there any ill effects at all to expect?? Thank you everyone in advance for your input.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

several years ago used a pres washer at constuction job,used a bilge pump we got from NAPA to feed washer. 12 volt power, garden hose connection ran the thing 2 or 3 hours at a time.dropped in top of 1000 gal tank with metal plate bolted on bottom to sit upright.