Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Off-season Marketing

This is my first year in business and I was wondering if anyone (mostly those located in Florida or southeast) had any marketing tips for the off-season. I'm trying to generate some business and now that the grass is not growing I have more time on my hands. Any advice is helpfull.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2001, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Off-season Marketing

This is my first year in business and I was wondering if anyone (mostly those located in Florida or southeast) had any marketing tips for the off-season. I'm trying to generate some business and now that the grass is not growing I have more time on my hands. Any advice is helpfull.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2001, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

UPSELLING!

As some call it is what I suggest. Its just hitting up your current customer base with other services you may offer.

I think the best way is while your doing your weekly or bi-weekly maintenance at the property, take a good look around and jot down a list of things that you could improve on their property.

Next, draft up a nice letter ( a general template) and customize it to each customer. Tell them you noticed a few things you can do to improve the looks of their landscapes and you have some scheduele openings between now and March or April or whatever and you are willing to offer them a "special" price if they book any of the jobs during this time.

Also, you could include a list of all the services you provide besides normal maintenance and that may help them spark their own ideas.

Hope this helps some!
Old 10-30-2001, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I replied to this thread......

that you also posted in element's of business forum. Please e-mail one of the moderator's to have this one removed or merged with the other one if it gets any replies.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Why, does that bother you? What's the big deal? Maybe some people who read threads in here don't in the other.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Guido! Great Idea..
Old 10-30-2001, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't bother me, just figured.....

it would be easier to follow one thread!
Old 10-30-2001, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Newsletter -

I started a newsletter this year, to give customers some interesting info (not always landscape related), and to, oh-by-the-way, offer a new service or make them aware of a service we already offer.

We got a few calls on that. What's more, it keeps you in their minds throughout the year.

The downside is, it takes a lot of work. I had 2 monthly newsletters ready for the season, March and April, before the season even started. Problem was, once the season started, I didn't have any time. As of today, March and April are the only newsletters I sent out.

So I guess a word to the wise is, have all of your newsletters in the can before the season even begins.

But it works. And it's cheap. Paper, ink, and postage. Or if you mow, you can just drop them off at each customer's house. No postage.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the best things you can do in the off season is send a letter to all of the people who you worked for this year on a casual basis. That is, one-time jobs or basically everyone except ongoing maintenance clients.

In your letter you should 1) thank them for helping you get your business off to a great start this year. 2) Enclose a $25 gift certificate for any future work they do with your company, and 3) Enclose a few business cards.

Here's another big tip - make sure they understand that the gift certificate is able to be passed on to others in case they don't have a need for it. Then you'll get even MORE cleints.

One last piece of advice on this - don't expect overwhelming results right away. You may get some jobs right away, you may not. But chances are most of these people will save these and use you again next year. Return business it the best kind!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-30-2001, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by solaras
Why, does that bother you? What's the big deal? Maybe some people who read threads in here don't in the other.
Because lawnsite would become unorganized. Post in the correct forum only please. The people who don't visit the Elements of Business forum are probably the people you do not want to answer this question.