Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-31-2001, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

If you want to survive in Fla. Green Industry use the slow time to seek education. Buy the Fla. Lawn Hand Book, log on to Ifas and sign up with Dave Palmer your County Extension Agent for his semiars Join The LMA. Check out the local Vol Tech.

There are over a million palm trees in Tampa St Pete and some one has to trim them. A so so chain saw starts at about $250-- A cheap 24 ft ladder cost around a $100 and you should already have a pick up. A high side trailer would be nice. I am sure you are not full up with ins, lic and experence or you would not be asking the question you ask. so be careful and smart and only do the small trees at first. Try and watch a pro trim palm trees monkey see monkey do. There is a trick to booting palms so look for the small jobs at first. Do not do them for under $10.00 a tree. Drive though nieghborhoods and knock on doors. The nieghbors will hear the chain saw running and you will have an other job if you do a good job. Or a cheap price.

Mulch replacement is another good angle. I know a guy with a 14 yard landscape dump that fills it with mulch and goes door to door. Not forget rock jobs. A yard of mulch covers 75 to 110 sq ft depending on how thick you spread it. Rock will vary by size 1/2 will cover more sq ft than 1 1/2. Do your customer a favor and don't install any thing less than 3/4.

Stay away from landscape jobs and unless you have pruining experence stay away from clean out or fall trim backs. If you don't the name of a plant you don't know how it grows etc.

Boy am I sorry I wrote this post I see you guys come and go all the time. And the only thing you do is drive down the prices. I should of told you go to work for an experenced company and learn the hard way. Why does every one think they can go in business for themselves when they never worked in the industry before. Sorry to jump on you I am just an old stink pot and it is late. But I did give you enough info to stay alive. so you can forgive me for nasty.

Ric
I can't spellll but 2+2=5
Old 10-31-2001, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Look Ric, I did this the hard way. I got my degree in Horticulture. Do you? I understand that the scumbags are the ones that set the standards in this industry. I don't need to know how to go out and trim a palm tree, I already know that. I know how to prune, I know how to lay mulch, etc....What I was asking for were MARKETING tips not a lesson on how to trim a tree or a lecture from you. Do you have any MARKETING advice to offer?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do you call the guy who graduates last in his med school class?

Doctor.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of you boys in Florida are sure touchy, specially when free advice is giving. Must be to much sun. LOL
Old 10-31-2001, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I have some idiot bashing me and assuming that I have no technical Know-how. I was asking for MARKETING advice and he's trying to tell me to sell mulch door-2-door. I'm trying to grow this business in a professional manner. I damn sure don't want to be branded as a getter dunner. I'm not going to let this guy bash me when I probably have more technical knowledge than him. It's business knowledge I was seeking NOT technical knowledge.

I do however very much appreciate the MARKETING advice that everyone had to offer. Best of luck this winter to you all..
Old 10-31-2001, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Please accept My apology it was late, I was tired and I was wrong. No I do not have degree in Horticulture. So you have me there. Also I do not have a degree in business or Marketing. So I was wrong to post anything at all. Once again I apology for upsetting you. I am just an old man 61 years and have been in the business for longer than I can remember. How ever some where a long the way I did pick up just a few certificates like fumigation, termite, general household pest, lawn & ornamental, aquatic, Fla. landscape contractor, plant nutritionist and arborist. Before I forget, let me invite you to my college graduation this spring when I will get my degree in horticulture. (Lawnboy 82 you are also invited since we have both posted how school rocks.)

Solaras as a college grad would you be so kind to explain to me the CEC of SOM in calcarious sand Soils here in Fla. it does cause a problem in my area; another thing I am wondering could you explain how I might cure black layer. Once again please accept my apology I was wrong to slam you.

Ric
Old 10-31-2001, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, sandy soils, which are generally low in colloidal material, have low CEC's compared to those of clay or silt loams. Our soils here in Florida are mostly composed of sand which are very low in organic matter and subsequently leach nutrients and minerals much faster than say clay soils. What would be your specific problem related to sandy soils.

About your Black Layer, have you tried a shot of penicillin?

Also, I am sorry to lay the heat on you. I'm frustrated, tired, and I'm trying to do this professionally and provide quality service. It pisses me off that these low-ballers set the standards in this industry. And then your assumption that I've never done the work and that I'm a low-baller really put me over the edge. Sorry and no hard feelings. Good luck with your business.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Thanks for your very imformative reply however what I am asking is. How does SOM effect CEC in Calcarious Sand. also since Black Layer is anareobric and gram Negative I do not think Penicillin will do me much good.

Ric
I can spelllll but 2+2=5
Old 10-31-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

The accumulation of SOM tends to acidify the soil. Two reasons apply. 1) Organic matter forms soluble complexes with nonacid nutrient cations. This causes the loss of cations by leaching. 2) Organic matter is a source of hydrogen ions because it contains numerous acid functional groups from which these ions can dissociate. So what I'm saying is "try Liming the soil"

The whole penicillin thing was a joke.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solaras

Better try again

Ric