Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Price on Troy Bilt

I have a chance on getting a display model 32" Troy Bilt for about 1/3 the suggested retail price. Would this make a good back-up mower or would it not be worth even the $500 it is listed for?
One city at a time
http://ultimatelawncare.esymbiot.com/
Old 10-30-2001, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never had the opportunity to use one, however, their tillers are awsome..Extremely well built and durable.. I wish all the equipment manufacturers built things the way the tillers are built.. So I would ( personally ) try it. 32" may be a little small for some, but you can get it through tighter gates.. Just my opinion... I baught a crapsman 21" 4 years ago and paid over $400. So $500 for good quality is cheap... I would suggest you demo it first to see if you like the way it handles and cuts ... Then make your decision..
Good luck.. Let me know how you like it !
Old 10-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
It's junk. Don't do it.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I own a Troy Bilt 33" wide cut mower. I would classify it as the worst equipment decision I have ever made. It cuts like doo doo on a piece of fishing wire. It doesn't matter how sharp the blades are, how many links you take out of the governor spring, how clean the deck is, whether you are mulching, bagging, or discharging. Both of the handles that come from the deck to the "commercial style" pistol grips have broken twice. The spindles have a rectangular bushing that makes putting new blades on it taxing. Also the blades bolts are supposed to be torqued to 35 lbs. I was off six weeks from that fiasco. The front castor pins regularly break with the castors becoming nice back yard projectiles. The way the carb is set makes it so sometimes when you get close up to a bush or whatever the governor spring is maxed out therefore overreving the engine. The tecumseh tranny on it has a tendency to lock up. Oh yeah it looks crappy too. In a sense, good for home owners, bad for pros.
I paid 1100 bucks for mine straight from the factory. Four hundred more and I could have owned a commercial unit. 1000 dollars more for you would get you a decent, reliable, machine that if used properly would make up the difference in two months.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I had (key word 'had') the Craftsman version of that mower. They are all made by MTD, and just painted a different color and given a different engine. Mine had a 8hp Briggs. This mower does not cut to commercial standards. It will also wear you out because you are turning the mower with your arms and throwing your weight around to get it turned around. If you are planning on using it much at all, or if you have already been used to using a commercial grade mower pass on this one. You can do a search on this mower and bring up many threads (some started by me before I sold mine). It is rated for homeowner use only in my book. Luck to You
Old 10-30-2001, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I would not buy anything made by Troy-Bilt. (except the horse tiller with a cast Kohler) at least not now.

Troy-Bilt has gone into bankrupcy, and were bought, or taken over by MTD. From what I can gather from my local dealer it is going to be real hard to get parts for any thing with the Troy-Bilt name on it.

Jim
Old 10-30-2001, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree, good gate mower for me.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

We have the Cub Cadet version with an 8.5 briggs. Its a great mower well for what we used it for. Once we got the 36" and the 48" walkbehinds it was a b*tch to use because the Kees were so much easier and now it hasnt been started since June. Some of the things good about it is you dont have belts to be sliping, its a floating deck, and it provided a good cut. For 500$ it isnt bad but like others have said its worthless if u already have a commercial walkbehind but maybe u could have a helper use it.

Just my 2cents
Steve
Old 10-30-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Troy built makes a good "residential" piece of equipment. That is the keyword though, residential. I have a tiller by them and it is great. I use it about 4 times a year in my own 1 acre garden. Wouldn't trade it. They are on the higher line of residential equipment. I do not think it is a wise choice to use commercially though. You might have luck, just remember, if it doesn't meet your expectations for commercial use, its because it was not made for it.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That machine retails at $1499. If you have a chance to pick one up for $500 you would be crazy to pass it up. I personally think it cuts great. Alot of the criticisms people have posted are valid. I have had some of the problems the others have had. There are a lot of benefits as well though.

The machine is overall very soild. At the same time it is much lighter than other walkbehinds. You can adjust the height with a crank, and set it at any height you want, which really helps for mulching grass. I still say this is the best mulching machine I have ever owned.

On the downside there seems to be a lot more maintainence on this machine than other wbs. I too have replaced handles. The belts seem to wear out quicker than on other units. Also the TB does not take hillsides very well.

All in all in my opinion I think the good definately out weighs the bad. I have had a lot of luck with mine. To be honest with you, If you were paying full price I would suggest spending $700 more for an Exmark. But for $500 you cant beat that.