Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tune-ups

When I overssed for my clients, I return in 6-8 weeks and do a tune-up. That is I ressed the areas that didn't fii in as well as I would have liked. I either aerate or scratch the surface with a hard rake, add some seed, and lightly cover with straw. Should I charge extra for this return trip? I make no warranty when it comes to germ. rate. I use LESCO Transition Blend seed almost exclusively. The seed has done really well for me, just every now and then there are some small bare spots.
Do you folks perform these "tune-ups"?
Thanks, Bill Craig!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't do it as a matter of course, but if a customer calls and complains about bare spots we'll usually go out and do a touch up....even when they haven't followed my watering instructions.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More help please!

Really thought that I would get more responses than just the one. Your opinions help me make a lot of decisions in my business.
Thanks, Bill Craig!
Old 11-02-2001, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good topic because I thought about doing the same thing. I have just gotten into seeding and thought about trying to figure in a little extra in original estimates so that I can go back and do some touching up "before" someone calls. Most of my work is local and I can usually find a couple minutes in a day to stop and see how things are growing. You know the customer will be impressed with that, the fact you are concerned after you "have" their money is worth it's weight in gold. I see so many others that get poor results with seeding and would like to be a step ahead and offer a little better results than the average guy does. I think this would be a very good practice to do.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that my clients appreciate it when I come back and walk their lawn and look for potential problems. I like to do this later in the evening on the way home, when theirs more of a chance of them being home and noticing me. Even when there is nothing wrong with the turf, I will pause for a moment and bend down and run my fingers through the grass. It looks like I'm deep in thought over their lawn. I'm usually just thinking about what's for dinner.
Sometimes my clients will come outside for a little face to face time. This is a great time to educate my clients and even do a little upselling.
Sure would like to hear from more of you on this subject though.
Thanks, Bill!
Old 11-04-2001, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CTM,

We always leave our clients a sheet of watering instructions after we do a lawn renovation/core aeration w/ seeding. It educates them on proper watering techniques for new seed and also gives them an idea on expected germination time if properly watered. The majority of this type of work is for regular clients and our mowing crews report back as to who is/isn't watering and how germination is doing. If a client is watering pretty well, we do re-seed at no charge, as our rates for renovation are not moderate. Since it is very dry this fall season, I will probably purchase another 300-400 lbs. of tall fescue in December when doing clean-ups and re-seed for some clients at that time. We'll just add the cost of time/materials to clean-up bill (indicate re-seeding was done) so some additional seed will be around to germinate in the spring.

Usually for the most part, if the lawn is core aerated, or thatched out w/ flail or similar blades and the seed makes it into the soil, even improperly watered lawns will show a good aomunt of germination in the spring.

I hope this helps some

Bob
Old 11-04-2001, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Bill, if a customer just spent $900 for lawn renovation i usualy go back 2 weeks later and see the results. when watering instructions are foloowed there is little to do, but i will definatly touch up spots that did'nt take well, at no extra expense to them. T
Old 11-04-2001, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your help folks. I have a client in mind. One whole side of their lawn came in poorly. This is a lawn with no automatic sprinkler system. They wanted me to reseed this side at no extra charge. I didn't want to do it. I think(know) that it was not watered at all! I went over to walk it over and look for a problem other than lack of water. She comes outside and we strike up a conversation about the lawn, and poor results on that one side. Her husband told her that the grass didn't "take" because of grubs. I do treat that lawn for grubs, but treated it earlier in the year. He told her to call the "lawn man" over to fix the problem. I told her that I make no guarantees as to the performance (germination) of the grass seed, because there are too many variables beyond my control etc. She said we would have to discuss this further with her husband. I was going to come back the next day and aerate/overseed, and offered to set up the sprinkler. Guess what? The hose would not reach.No way they ever watered this section of the lawn. I let them borrow 100' of hose so that it could be watered and aerated the next day. I just sent them a bill for this reservice on Nov.1. I think she was embarrassed over her husbands lack of hose.
Bill!
Old 11-04-2001, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And I'm sure she enjoyed you showing her what a real man's hose was like...
Old 11-04-2001, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Bill, people loike that kill me, they have the answer, they would'nt know the difference from a jumbo shrimp to a grub. it's never their fault, i hate that with a passion, i would'nt tell my plumber how to put in a toilet. uuuuuuuugh. T