Register free!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Tom I understand that lots of long time organic growers eschew bio-solids in their gardens, how recently has it been since Milorganite had a specific warning label against garden use. Im wondering if its something you'd consider in your yard.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic a go go View Post
Tom I understand that lots of long time organic growers eschew bio-solids in their gardens, how recently has it been since Milorganite had a specific warning label against garden use. Im wondering if its something you'd consider in your yard.
Don't necessarily look for any logic in my personal decision That being said, I was unhappy with the way that entire enterprise handled it's laundry and business model. I also don't always put a lot of stock in how products are labeled. A conventional apple for example is sold as food, despite it likely high levels of fungicides. Fungicides I decided were not acceptable in yard much less my diet.

I really hope for the economic health of our communities we find a way to recycle this waste....but for now, not in my yard.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Municipal waste has a bad reputation in the industry, it was sold for years with toxic levels of heavy metals. Who knows how much damage they did to young people who are the most susceptible to these toxins.

The (toxic waste) I mean municipal waste industry has cleaned up their act quite a bit in the last few years and have found ways to remove the extremes of heavy metals, the issue is still long term use.

Some of the heavy metals in these products go nowhere anytime soon and accummulate in the soil, maybe not a huge deal on a lawn because you don't harvest and eat your lawn. I just don't like the idea of my daughter playing in the backyard and wondering how much cadmium or molybdinum she is getting under her fingernails.

Most of the bagged products you find at the store are "underwritten" by the local or state government which allows them very little cost to produce the bagged product, this makes it very difficult for local composters to get market share and be competitive.

We have a leaf "compost" locally called leafgro that has most of its labor, equipment and property paid for by the local government. They often make an inferior product because their composting cycles are too short and there compost is not a good finished product. They in turn sell it an an artificially low price which others can not match

Last edited by ICT Bill; 02-01-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like what biosolids do for a lawn. I think it's also a great way to manage our waste. But Sun Prairie, WI haunts my mind.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet View Post
I like what biosolids do for a lawn. I think it's also a great way to manage our waste. But Sun Prairie, WI haunts my mind.
I am not too far from Sun Prairie, but I am not aware of something happening there. What's the scoop??