Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landed my first pressure washing job today

Went to a nursery today to look at a few things and while i was there talking to one of the guys that worked there we started to discuss what i am going to be doing and when i mentioned pressure washing he asked me if i could go look at his house and his deck and give him a price.
So i went to his house and looked and gave him a quote of $300.00 for both the house and deck,the house is 2 floors but is very clean except one wall has algie on it pretty much and the deck is a 2nd floor deck which is 5x15 ft long.I got the job so that was exciting!! I lined it up for the 2nd week of feb as long as the weather is ok.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Pressure Washing Pricing

Seriously, $300 you were excited about that?

Are you sealing the deck too?
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
Seriously, $300 you were excited about that?

Are you sealing the deck too?
Well first of all it was my first job and also it is a friend of a friend and all he really wants done is the one side of the house because he just painted the other sides and they are like new.The one side has algie but not too bad and the deck is very small and no i am not sealing the deck he is. Dam the very first response to this post is a negative one and guys wonder why i get upset on here sometimes. Whats so bad about making 300.00 for this job,i dont think it will take that long to do.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Are you doing the house and deck for $300 each?
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay, I understand now and I appologize I was jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it was the lack of description in what you were doing. It sounded like you were washing the whole house and deck. One side and just a deck wash makes more sense for $300. I won't pick on you too much for that one.

There is always just so many guys lowballing pressure washing work and bringing down the industry in which I make a living, so that's what I thought. But I was wrong, nice job.
Pressure Washing Prices
Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
Okay, I understand now and I appologize I was jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it was the lack of description in what you were doing. It sounded like you were washing the whole house and deck. One side and just a deck wash makes more sense for $300. I won't pick on you too much for that one.

There is always just so many guys lowballing pressure washing work and bringing down the industry in which I make a living, so that's what I thought. But I was wrong, nice job.
just curious what would you have chrged "if" you were doing this entire house and the deck?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They would charge the highest prices in town....

and get it according to everyone on this site. You'll find no matter where you post mowing, landscaping, seal coating.....everyone on here has started w/ 40 grand in equipment, would never think of cutting anyone a break, AND always charge high prices (even when just starting in business).

You will get great knowledge off the board as long as you look past the BS. It seems the mowers, pressure washers, seal coaters try to protect their jobs or make them sound like rocket science by talking big equipment and fees. But all of this stuff the local homeowner can do w/ out any training....might not be as efficent as a professional guy but it will come with time....and anyone can jump in to these businesses and make good money.

Anyway...don't pay attention to all the negative stuff the board will "say" you're doing and you'll get some good info. Everyone just worries there is some other "weekend warrior" on the board, in their area, and is going to take some of the gravy jobs away from them...so you'll always hear; you don't charge enough; you need this to succeed; you're a lowballer, etc..

Peace,
Gary
Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How long do you think you can finish that job by our self?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=joesimoes2;2128528]How long do you think you can finish that job by our self?[/QUOTE

If you are talking to me i think i can do this job in just alittle over an hour start to finish! That includes set up and tear down.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro121 View Post
and get it according to everyone on this site. You'll find no matter where you post mowing, landscaping, seal coating.....everyone on here has started w/ 40 grand in equipment, would never think of cutting anyone a break, AND always charge high prices (even when just starting in business).

You will get great knowledge off the board as long as you look past the BS. It seems the mowers, pressure washers, sealcoaters try to protect their jobs or make them sound like rocket science by talking big equipment and fees. But all of this stuff the local homeowner can do w/ out any training....might not be as efficient as a professional guy but it will come with time....and anyone can jump in to these businesses and make good money.

Anyway...don't pay attention to all the negative stuff the board will "say" you're doing and you'll get some good info. Everyone just worries there is some other "weekend warrior" on the board, in their area, and is going to take some of the gravy jobs away from them...so you'll always hear; you don't charge enough; you need this to succeed; you're a lowballer, etc..

Peace,
Gary
Gary-PWing definitely isn't rocket science but there is more to it than the average Joe realizes. I'll admit I got into it myself thinking the learning curve would be easy. I started with $4000 and a pickup truck. I researched for 4 months on the boards and called others in the industry before I did my first job. It was not as easy as I thought it was and my methods then are completely different than they are now, meaning what I thought was right was actually nowhere close. I have learned a lot in 3 years and still have a lot to learn.

I have yet to see a home owner do a comparable job cleaning their own house or deck. The illusion is they think they are doing a grand job but they really don't know any different. They use small consumer grade equipment, worthless big box store chemicals, and way too much pressure. They shred their decks to pieces, blow out their screens and force water behind their siding and they don't even realize it. It isn't rocket science but to think anyone can just pick up a wand and start making money is just wrong. I'm sure there is more to running a yard business and/or seal coating than I realize. So even though it looks easy I'm intelligent enough to know better and would never disrespect anyone that does it for a living or that "protects" the industry they make a living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
just curious what would you have chrged "if" you were doing this entire house and the deck?
My minimum house wash job is $300. Even a small one story ranch would fall into this category. For the house you described I'd probably be around $350-$400 depending on the level of detail they wanted. My bottom dollar on decks is $450 when its a clean/seal. Just for a wash/strip I would charge $225 for that size 2nd story deck. I would of charged $75 for the one side of the house so I would of been at $300 for what's being done, again you are right on.
Pressure Washing Prices