Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Liquid cooled vs. Air cooled

I'm looking for a new mower and have mixed things about liquid cooled mowers. Do they really run up to 1000 hours longer then air cooled? Are they worth the extra money? Any help would be appreciated.
01 Toro Proline Hydro 44" jrco dethatcher, leaf plow and accelerator bagger
Lesco 36" Commercial
Homemade Log Splitter 33 ton 8 Hp Briggs
Billy Goat 16 HP Leaf Loader
Shindaiwa EB 630 & EB 802
Little Wonder 5 hp Blower
Shindaiwa T192
Stihl FS 90 Power Broom
Stihl MS 390, 210 and 192T
Stihl HS 45
Bunch of other stuff
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

On any thing I have ever read, they are rated to last 2 to 3 times longer than an air-cooled unit with proper maintenance. I don't know the factors that are involved, but I can see why just by thinking about it. I haven't heard any complaints on the liquid-cooled till yesterday in fact. The city of Paris tried the Super-Z's with the liquid-cooled Kawasaki, and said they had alot of problems with it i.e. overheating, etc. They are looking at the Bad Boys for this year, and said no way to lc. They also had major problems with their cub cadet tank with the Generac motor. You and I both know some cities treat their equipment, and with 230 acres to mow I think they run them harder than most lco's. On the other hand, LC's are getting really popular around here. Thats mainly what I try to run, just because of the longer lifespan ratings. Our mechanic just got back from Kawasaki school and he said they were leaning toward lc and efi looking at the future. I couldn't imagine you not getting 2 to 3000 hours out of a lC machine after everything I've heard. Nearly everyone's list around here has a LC motor on it being diesel or gas.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have one water cooled engine and I have to say that so far I dont really see the advantage of it...all though it hasnt ever given any major trouble....both head gaskets leak some and I have to add some water from time to time

Just my 2 cents but its just more stuff to go wrong and extras maintenance.....But If I were to be mowing a large complex that was 30 -40 acres in one place that the mower ran for extended times with out shutting down and cooling then it may be more feasible. Most residential accounts you are mowing 1 hour or less and then the mower gets a chance to cool down

wayne

Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

From what I was told - you really only need L/C if you run more than 50hrs. per week. I have always had L/C and found them more difficult to service. I am buying a new mower this spring and its going to be air cooled Kawasaki.
John Deere Gator
Mowers, Trimmers, Trailers
Horses, Cats & Dog
No Help
Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Because of their constant engine temperature, liquid cooled engines keep their power stable in hot weather and under harsh conditions.
For the same reason, they last longer and burn less oil than air cooled engine.
In fact, air cooled engines are actually oil-air cooled. It is the oil which transfers most of heat from the "hot" parts to the "cooler" parts of the engine. Heat produced at the cylinders is "dissipated" in the air flow surrounding the engine.
In liquid cooled engines, the oil doesn't have to work as hard, stay cooler and last longer because most of the heat produced is transferred by the coolant to the radiator and evacuated to the air in a much more efficient way.
With minimum preventive maintenance (like replacing ducts when they go "soft" to the touch and flushing the coolant every two or three years to prevent any corrosion in the system), a liquid cooled engine should last "forever".
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you keep the ma chine for more than 2000hrs it's a waste. Most machines need a lot of nickel and dime items at 1500-2000 hrs. The engine could last til 3000 hrs but the rest of the machine will be shot.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Run em both, ac 20 hp kohler and lc 24.5 kubota. Water adds weight but I trully prefer the lc in the hot months. Henry B has a really good point, I seldom run my machines past 1500 hrs because the hydros can go. The fuel injected air cooled engines seem to handle the heat much better and add no weight to the program. Should last 2500-3000. Think about it, when they started FIing cars they installed better filters and they quit flooding and washing the cylinder walls down and always had the better fuel air ratios and engines just started lasting longer. I'm gonna try a fuel injected one next time.