Register free!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Agri-Growth International

Is anyone familiar with this company or this product?

http://www.agriorganics.com/products/seasons.html

Guaranteed Minimum Analysis

Total Nitrogen (N) 6.0% 100% NATURAL
100% ORGANIC

Available Phosphoric Acid(P2O5) 2.0%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 4.0%
Organic Matter 57.2%
Maximum Moisture 7.5%
Humic Acid 17.0%
pH 7.0%

I've been looking into getting more organics into my program, but want to ease into it. I like the analysis of this material, and think it could be my entry into the organic arena of lawn care. Please... no attacks! I am a died in the wool IPM guy, use compost and cultural, mechanical and engineering controls to the best of my ability, do my darndest to avoid killing beneficials and my goal is to reduce or eventually, someday, maybe even go 100% organic, but right now, I want to take baby steps.

They don't appear to have a distribution network in place, but if anyone has any experience with their products, has an opinion based on the makeup of this product or have a similar alternative to suggest, I would be very appreciative! I will call them next week about how to purchase their products here.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm cautious of any "organic" product that does not provide detailed information about what is in it.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I suspect the soils in your area may be somewhat consistent. I'd do a couple of tests with recommendations and develop your own blend and program based on those results. Market yourself. If certified organic is not important consider marketing as pesticide free..thats a far less emotive approach!

Asking for additional information by email will answers questions on what products are used to source the nutrients

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tom, yes, the soil makeup here does tend to be very consistant, only the amount of organic matter and nematodes seem to vary significantly. Sandy loam, a bit low on calcium and manganese, sufficient iron and other elements. pH tends to need some upward adjustment most of the time (for turf) and tends to need a nudge in K.

I do plan on contacting this company. Develop my own blend? I like the idea, but I'm not really set up for such an undertaking. No, the materials don't have to be certified but I prefer a no manure approach. That's just me.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey, look around for local sources of organic products, like compost, and don't be afraid to use manure products for suitable applications, especially if that is all that is locally available.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Whitey4;2130956]Tom, yes, the soil makeup here does tend to be very consistant, only the amount of organic matter and nematodes seem to vary significantly. Sandy loam, a bit low on calcium and manganese, sufficient iron and other elements. pH tends to need some upward adjustment most of the time (for turf) and tends to need a nudge in K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Develop my own blend?
Sure you are! All you need is a large AG or Hort supplier near by to purchase individual ingrediants.

Quote:
I like the idea, but I'm not really set up for such an undertaking. No, the materials don't have to be certified but I prefer a no manure approach. That's just me.
I'm with you on the no manure! Too bad, the osmophobics are second only to the entomophobics!

BTW I did my blending in a concrete mixer.

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 02-02-2008, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Tom, yes, the soil makeup here does tend to be very consistant, only the amount of organic matter and nematodes seem to vary significantly. Sandy loam, a bit low on calcium and manganese, sufficient iron and other elements. pH tends to need some upward adjustment most of the time (for turf) and tends to need a nudge in K.

I do plan on contacting this company. Develop my own blend? I like the idea, but I'm not really set up for such an undertaking. No, the materials don't have to be certified but I prefer a no manure approach. That's just me.

Have you checked Long Island Compost?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Have you checked Long Island Compost?

LOL.... yeah the Vigliotti's have quite the business! That is where just about every LCO in the county pays to dump their fall cleanup leaves. Then they truck it out east, where they have a huge operation, all sorts of tremendously large compost turners and equipment.

I use their compost, but not as a fertilizer. It's only composted for 6 months, and the content isn't given because it can be very inconsistant. It's fine for top dressing, things like that, just when I want some organic matter brought in. I'm looking to replace garanteed analysis synthetics with garanteed analysis organics. LIC serves a great purpose, and is a sweetheart business, but it has it's limitations. But, before I shoot my mouth off too much, I haven't talked to them about garanteed analysis materials either, just what I see at their retail/ dump location and what shows up at the Home Despot.

If they have any garanteed analysis ferts, they keep it under publicized.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL.... yeah the Vigliotti's have quite the business! That is where just about every LCO in the county pays to dump their fall cleanup leaves. Then they truck it out east, where they have a huge operation, all sorts of tremendously large compost turners and equipment.

I use their compost, but not as a fertilizer. It's only composted for 6 months, and the content isn't given because it can be very inconsistant. It's fine for top dressing, things like that, just when I want some organic matter brought in. I'm looking to replace garanteed analysis synthetics with garanteed analysis organics. LIC serves a great purpose, and is a sweetheart business, but it has it's limitations. But, before I shoot my mouth off too much, I haven't talked to them about garanteed analysis materials either, just what I see at their retail/ dump location and what shows up at the Home Despot.

If they have any garanteed analysis ferts, they keep it under publicized.
I'd really like you to try our line of organic fert, but you would rather not use composted poultry manure or EPA Exceptional Quality Biosoids.

As for the compost, I meant for you to use it as a top dress after aeration. This will go a long way in developing a great lawn.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I'd really like you to try our line of organic fert, but you would rather not use composted poultry manure or EPA Exceptional Quality Biosoids.

As for the compost, I meant for you to use it as a top dress after aeration. This will go a long way in developing a great lawn.
I probably have to get over this excrement phobia...LOL. I know it's sterilized, and safe.... but too many pidgeons have used my head as a repostitory. I'll work on that! Yeah, the Vigliotti compost has given me good results as a top dressing and flower garden organic amendment, although I mostly use my own compost for my property and especially in my vegtable garden.

Is your fert available at retail quanitities? I'd like to try some in my annual beds to get a feel for how it works and monitor results.

PS: Despite my phobias, I have no problem with earthworm castings... I love that stuff. In the soil, I mean.

Last edited by Whitey4; 02-02-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: earthworm comment