Register free!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tea Brewer Pics?

with all the talk of compost tea brewers what is everyone using?
did u build it? or buy it?
how big is it and how much can u make at a time with it?
and of course pics would be nice.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are looking for something industrial look at Geotea from greater earth organics, I believe they are in WI. It is distributed in the US and 10 other countries, the aussies swear by them. Bob Posthumus who makes them has been associated with the soil food web for years. http://www.greaterearthorganics.com/

Tad Hussie who is on here often also makes an excellent product called simplicatea. They have been in business for quite some time, build a proven product and stand behind it

I made my own for backyard use with the bottom cut off of a 30 gallon trash can, a heavy duty aquarium air pump and some bubblers.

Some of the top of the line extractors (stainless steel) can cost tens of thousands of dollars
Old 02-02-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have seen they can be very costly but i have seen some that weren't and was wondering how to incorporate this into my biz?
Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess cost is relative, you would need to sit down and see how much it would be used or how much product you may need on any day

Lets play
If your average yard is 5K and your sprayer works at 2 gallons per 1K you would need 10 gallons of a compost tea and water mix. Some folks dilute at 10 to 1 some 20 to 1 water to compost tea, some use no dilution. lets say 10 to 1. So you would need 1 gallon of straight compost tea and 9 gallons of water to do one property.

How many properties could you spray in a morning, lets say they are close together, 10? so you would need 10 gallons of compost tea and 90 gallons of water. So on any given day if you spray all day you will need 20 gallons of compost tea and 180 gallons of water, theoretically

If you choose not to dilute you would need to make up 200 gallons of compost tea for the day.
There are some really cheap, sometimes free, containers that are 275 gallons and called "International Beverage Containers" or IBC's. These things are great vessels for making compost teas

So you would proably want to look at a compost tea brewer that can handle that load for a certain day minimum
Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quiet voices

Sometimes the quiet voices are the most interesting...

Reading older ezines from a tea lab the name EPM consistently showed great results. I've worked with EPM now Sustainable Ag from my earliest days. They are a FULL service supplier. No advertising, just great support and products. Their methods are sustainable not certified organic. Their primary interest is producing more nutritious food and as a result a majority of their customers are farmers. Most of their products follow the precepts described by Arden Andersen in "Science in Agriculture". Those concepts are easily adapted to our turf business.

composttea.com

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thank you tom
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Worm Bins - Vermicomposting Systems
does anyone here have a system they like and what would u change about it?
what r u feeding the worms and how is it all working out?
i like this and want to set up my own system.
who would be a good worm supplier?
thanks dusty
Old 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
Worm Bins - Vermicomposting Systems
does anyone here have a system they like and what would u change about it?
what r u feeding the worms and how is it all working out?
i like this and want to set up my own system.
who would be a good worm supplier?
thanks dusty
Give Ross Orner a call his link is on my website as Worm Wonder. Ross is also god with tea and sells Sustainable Ag systems. Oh and great milk too!

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
— Gaylord Nelson
Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jaszewski View Post
Sometimes the quiet voices are the most interesting...

Reading older ezines from a tea lab the name EPM consistently showed great results. I've worked with EPM now Sustainable Ag from my earliest days. They are a FULL service supplier. No advertising, just great support and products. Their methods are sustainable not certified organic. Their primary interest is producing more nutritious food and as a result a majority of their customers are farmers. Most of their products follow the precepts described by Arden Andersen in "Science in Agriculture". Those concepts are easily adapted to our turf business.

composttea.com
tom,
I have a question for you. I'm wondering why does S ag's earth tea 22 produce the best results as far as test #'s for bacteria and fungal growth from of their brewers?
I've also noticed that other companies brewers have trouble producing good numbers like their smaller units.

what would cause this in your opinion?
or is there something I'm missing from reading these results?

any thoughts on this subject would be helpful,
thank you,
charlie
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
with all the talk of compost tea brewers what is everyone using?
did u build it? or buy it?
how big is it and how much can u make at a time with it?
and of course pics would be nice.
Yes, it would.

Right now as a guy in the business. As a guy who will be busy during the busy season.
I would like to represent the fella who thinks this is a big hassle and why doesn't dry matter eventually work anyway?

This whole compost tea business needs to be more user friendly before it becomes popular with the LCO's. So far all I have heard about the details is arguements, but no pictures.