Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
Smallaxe,

... In our case, all you would do is empty the compost into the bags and then sprinkle the foods into the water and brew.
So I do indeed need compost and the starter bag and a brewer to essentially make the tea myself?
I can't get microbes w/feed dump - it into an aquarium - run the bubbler - scoop out the enriched water to put into a nozzle end sprayer and distribute about the lawn? Which brings up another point that seems lacking in all this discussion. How is it distributed onto lawns?

I am not trying to be difficult , I really don't have a real good picture of what is going on yet. Not for sure anyway.

If there is no other way other than me doing the brewing personally, send a url of a website that describes size and cost of your brewer.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
Tom,

Just wanted to say "hi." Good to see you on here. Hope everything has been going well with you since the last time we talked!

~Tad
Hey Tad,

All is well here, it's great to be back in small town USA. The proliferation of market farmers and good old midwestern common sense is a welcome change from the left coast.....

Say hello to Linda and Leon!!

We will have differences in approaches but I will always support your good work and products!

Tom

"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
ó Gaylord Nelson
Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tom,

I figure that's why we're all on here, is so we can share our different approaches and opinions. How boring would it be if we all agreed about everything! I'm just glad that there is a discussion on these subjects, as I really think it's the direction we're heading in the hort. and lawn care industry.

~Tad
Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallaxe,

Here a good starting point for reading about compost tea:

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_...rated_tea.html

I think it will answer a lot of your questions regarding why you need to brew it yourself. I'd be happy to explain more, but I think it might be a better phone conversation than email.

Few different options for application, depending on scale. Biggest thing is you want to be as gentle on the organisms as possible. No previous chemicals in your spray rig. Picture yourself going through your sprayer. Any 90 degree angles? High pressure? Blades that may chop up the fungi? If you keep these things in mind you should be okay. Obviously testing or looking through a microscope is the best way to determine if your microbes made it through the sprayer okay. Whether or not you decide to use tea, I think it's definitely something worth learning about.

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of Jeff Lowenfel's book, Teaming with Microbes. I think it's 10 bucks on amazon.com and does a great job of explaining soil biology in easy to understand terms.

~Tad
Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jaszewski View Post
A number of us found that the cost savings from developing a healthy soil food web were significant enough to quickly pay for the equipment costs. Kiril would you mind talking about your experience with compost tea. Being a new guy I'm in the dark.
Rest assured it is not anywhere close to Tad, Bill, Tim, or yours.

Most of my experience comes with working with compost directly as a soil amendment, with extracts, and ultimately building an environment in the soil that is conducive to a balanced food web. I have some experience with ACT, but nothing significant. I posted my general education and experience in this thread.

As a result of discussion on this board, and a client who has a 40 tree orchard he wishes to maintain organically, I am looking into building a 40 gal ACT brewer in the hope that I can successfully use it for foliar disease control (Tim I may want to bounce some ideas off of you). While I am still not convinced it will work for all the diseases that could potentially hit these trees (based on the studies I have read), the only way to further my knowledge in this aspect is to experiment.

In any event, my line of questioning is not personally motivated, but is intended for everyone who reads this forum, whether they post or not. It seems to me the people who appear the most interested in organic programs (on this board) are the small time LCO's, who probably don't have alot of capital to work with.

I do agree if your operation is big enough then your amortization period will be relatively short, however for the small timers who still need decent production volume but can't justify the upfront expenses, the cost could be prohibitive for a brewer and appropriate spray rig.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

smallaxe,

Have you googled "compost tea brewer"? You'll find plenty to look at. Some good info, some bad info.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i am going to need a semi to tote all the tanks and stuff for this
i have been told that a hypro d30 pump that is a diaphragm pump will not hurt the good fellas in the CT as much as a roller pump.
i have rebuilt d30s and would believe this to be true.
i am working on a dedicated spray rig for my tea but luckily i have lots of parts left over from the dark side of lawn care.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
smallaxe,

Have you googled "compost tea brewer"? You'll find plenty to look at. Some good info, some bad info.
I was hoping this forum would free me from sales pitches around the net , but, if you insist.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No info. is entirely free of sales pitches.....even here. That's why doing your own research is key. Soil Food Web is a good start, but even they have particular interests with some companies.

~Tad