Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2001, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Irrigation Service Agreements

I have a unique situation as I am able to work on sprinklers all year however.....always looking for an angle.

Any ideas on how/what I could offer for a service agreement type thing to get people signed up and guarantee 2 visits per year like you folks in cold country can do with winterize/startups?

I have played with idea in the past, perhaps a discount for paying for two visits up front? Maybe something like that. Any ideas much appreciated as I am coming into a little slowdown for holidays and would like to crank this thing up baby!

Thanks in advance as always.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't understand what your agreement would be but if you want an angle to visit two time a year maybe this would be one. Most people here ( older ones) don't know how , even if shown, to work their computer boxes. Sell them on resetting to boxes to add the amount of water in the hot season and then go back in the cooler season on decrease the time or days. Save them money on water . Check heads when there for good coverage.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The heads should be checked atLEAST once every 3 months to not only check coverage, butmake sure all the mechanism is working properly. Timers should be done atleast twice a year, also.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another 'benefit' to sell is that any repair done at the check-up will be charged by the repair time only since a special trip (hence trip charge) isn't needed. Maybe even offer a 10% discount on repair parts to your service agreement customers.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

trip charge

I don't get it. You had to go there to fill your obligation, why do it for no charge?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I didn't make myself clear. A service agreement is paid for a set period of time, usually annually. Say that the service is for two check-ups per year and during one of those check-ups a broken head is discovered. You can charge the client for the repair but you don't charge them for a trip charge since you were already there, hence they save a repair trip charge and only pay for the time and parts. The idea of saving them headaches and money should help to build a loyal base of service customers.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotcha, but I don't understand the selling point. They are still paying one way or another and a visit has to be scheduled either way. I don't see the customer advantage to make them lean towards the agreement. I still must be missing something.

I'm real interested in this as well because I have a lot of people that turn on the systems themselves in the spring and some make half ass repairs. Many we don't see till blow out in the fall and we can only make so many observations then for nexy springs work.

I encorage many to turn the system on themselves and call us for problems when doing so. It keeps them happier getting water when they want it and takes the stress off me. I do recommend that they have us come mid season for a check up on systems over 5 years old if they start up themselves. Not many do and I need to market something.

July & August is usally slow here and I think a discounted rate for visits then might work.

Any other beams of light?
Old 11-01-2001, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too am always looking for the benefit for the customer in order to have a valid selling point. Much easier to sell to someone when you believe in it. I think the sprinklers would be much better off if checked 3 times a year or more but most customers do NOT understand that. Around here the landscape maint. company is supposed to check briefly every week. That is the way MOST of their contracts are set up. Most of them, of course, do not do it due to time constraints.

I would love to have a couple of hundred pre paid individuals to boost my bottom line, give me some cash in the bank, keep guys busy during slow times, and make the company more valuable. These types of contracts are assets. I just have not come up with the right formula yet.

I like the idea of telling them the repair will only be charged on a labor basis, HOWEVER, most of them will sign on thinking that will be covered. Maybe the best way is to say.....for 250 per year we will come 3 times and fix all as needed. We will also come during the year on emergency type basis for free, within reason <or> For 135 per year we will come 3 times per year and the parts and extra repair labor are not covered. That MIGHT be the ticket.

KEEP THE IDEAS FLOWING, I THINK WE ARE ON TO SOMETHING.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are materials included in those numbers?
Old 11-01-2001, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First number is "platinum" type agreement and parts are included
Second number is "standard" type agreement no parts or labor are included.