Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-31-2001, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro VS gear on hills ?

I have all gear drive walk behinds and was wondering when I make the switch if hydros tear up grass on hills. I know if I stop on the hill with my w/b gear drive it will have a hard time getting up the hill the belts will slip before the tires do. Will a hydro just tear up the grass ? Also I have run a few used older hydro mowers in a parking lot and they made alot of moaning when turning and going up the ramp on the trailer what is this moaning type of noise caused by ?
Old 10-31-2001, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydros are much safer & easier to control on hills. The hydros will tear up grass until the operator has learned how to operate it cortrectly, and then that problem won't happen. Could take one lawn for one guy to learn it right, could take a few weeks for another guy. The loud noise may have been because the machines were low on hydro oil.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr Bunton get that Hydro and don't even worry about tearing up the lawn. Practice on your lawn or even on the job its not that big a deal,youll have it down it prob-1hr not masterd but youll be able to cut with it. Then everyday form then youll learn many diff-ways to use the Hydros. Heck with them gears. Marks Mowing Service
Old 10-31-2001, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone out there think they would like a 32" WB with a flip up Flex-Deck that when you drop it down adds 18" to the width for a 50" cut once you get it thru the gate. It would also contour mow and trim between bushes etc that are 2' apart - see the www.flex-deck.com web page that shows it on a JD tractor, or look at the pics on our flex-deck sponsor forum with the deck on a JD 36" WB. Thanks, Brad
Old 11-01-2001, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Flex deck, that sounds like the best idea. Because of the overhang when flipped up a 36" might not go it tight gates, but the 32" would give room for the overhang.

The hydro works much better on hills than a belt drive. I find it much easier to turn without tearing up turf with a hydro verses a belt.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definately a hydro on the hills. I do some steep ones with my Walker and it climbs like a goat. If it is real wet I use the Toro WB Hydro and I can do them with no problems.
It is safer as you dont have to worry about stopping with a pto spinning the blades while you are tryin to kick a gear in.

The belt mowers have a place but I personally would never own one for my situation.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydros

I have some accts with some really steep hills. It's hard to walk on them and when wet impossible. My toro hydros are too heavy and slide. I've been using 36" gear drives because they're lighter, but man do they take a long time. Test drove a Ferris (wider wheel base) 52" hydro WB and it worked wonderfully. Riders to my knowledge are impossible on these slopes. Have heard that Walkers are better, but haven't demo'd yet.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned and used both. One word answer: HYDRO!
Old 02-16-2002, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydros are absolutly better. They're way more efficent.

That moaning noise is just the hydraulic pumps. All hydros sound like that, brand new. When I finish cutting for the day I have that sound ringing in my ears.