Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I was at Home Depot Yesterday. They were selling Lesco fertilizer with crabgrass control (not sure of analysis) 50 pounds for 25.97. Covers 12,000 sqft. Not sure--probably last year's left over supply.

24-2-11 was 19.99, 50 pounds.

Weed killer (Ortho Home Depot product in black bottle) was 5.97 per quart.
But don't try to use current 'box store' fertilizer pricing as any type of barometer to guage where the prices are heading.
Only futures markets can predict that...and even they can't forecast accurately everything key that goes on everywhere, all the time, both at home and internationally.

And Home Depot, Lowes, etc markets primarily to homeowners, people with a completely different mind-set when they shop, as compared to the more savvy and knowledgeable (hopefully, at least ) buyer who would purchase for a lawn fertilization company.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I was at Home Depot Yesterday. They were selling Lesco fertilizer with crabgrass control (not sure of analysis) 50 pounds for 25.97. Covers 12,000 sqft. Not sure--probably last year's left over supply.

24-2-11 was 19.99, 50 pounds.

Weed killer (Ortho Home Depot product in black bottle) was 5.97 per quart.
Nice.... my dealer at the Lesco/JD store quoted me $24.96. Five bucks cheaper for me to buy Lesco at Home Depot? Well.... that certainly is interesting. I guess I must look pretty stupid. I'm not a big account by any means, but I anticipate spending $10 to $12k this year in supplies and hardware. Lesco won't get a dime. Even if he got reasonable at this point... I don't trust the guy. I sure hope for the company's sake that other stores are run very differently.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's going to get worse, too. Not only that, they were saying on the news the other night, that we could very well be looking at $6 per gallon of gas in the next year. Our economy is going to hell in a handbasket. there will be ALOT of people cutting back on everything and doing without all the frills of lawncare.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Nice.... my dealer at the Lesco/JD store quoted me $24.96. Five bucks cheaper for me to buy Lesco at Home Depot? Well.... that certainly is interesting. I guess I must look pretty stupid. I'm not a big account by any means, but I anticipate spending $10 to $12k this year in supplies and hardware. Lesco won't get a dime. Even if he got reasonable at this point... I don't trust the guy. I sure hope for the company's sake that other stores are run very differently.
Whitey,

Don't feel like you are getting taken that bad! Although is sounds like Lesco is screwing you with those prices...I wouldn't compare it to "store grade" fert.

The "store fert" is usually not the same quality and also you need to pay attention to the sq ft/bag.

A lot of times when looking at fert...they are 40# bags and not 50's.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not only that, the amount of slow release plays a major role in pricing as well. If a bag has more slow releasing properties, its pricing will be higher.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hissing Cobra is correct look at the bag of Lesco Fert from Home Depot and from a lesco Supply House They are totally different atleast around here. And Lesco Home Depot bags are only 40lbs not 50lbs
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great point...as not always but a lot of times I think when people price shop they think they are comparing apples to apples, but they really are not.

There is A LOT more to a bad of fert then just the analysis!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's a 2008 Lowes offering being sold in 50# bags, for slightly less than $16 / bag.

http://images.lowes.com/product/089494/089494185103.jpg

Does the bag design look familiar to anyone ??
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure but I think Terra Ind. (TRA) is the major manufacture in the US, I do know they bought up a few companies a couple years ago and the stock price has gone from about $6 ps to $45ish, in two years.

Bet that has something to do with retail prices.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Here's a 2008 Lowes offering being sold in 50# bags, for slightly less than $16 / bag.

http://images.lowes.com/product/089494/089494185103.jpg

Does the bag design look familiar to anyone ??
That is funny!

The cost/K on N is over 2X Lesco's price.

It is a 50# bag, but only covers 8K.

Lesco's 32% covers 16K and is alot cheaper then that!

Boy these stores know how to fool the homeowner dont' they? It would cost them $87/acre for fert only and no herb.