Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's like hissing said compare apples to apples. the bag stated 16-4-8 not the anaylsis breakdown... iron content? scu (slow release)?,minor package?
16.00 for 8000 sq ft 2.00 per 1000 . geez that retail and that's that
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll admit when I am wrong, and it certainly appears to be the case here. I'm actually happy to hear that I was wrong. But $24.96 for 24-5-11, 5%Fe and 50% scu for 12k of coverage still seems pretty high to me. But, I'm glad he wasn't trying to take advantage of me. For a low volume user like me, it isn't even price that tops my list when I buy. It's much more about customer relations and service.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I'll admit when I am wrong, and it certainly appears to be the case here. I'm actually happy to hear that I was wrong. But $24.96 for 24-5-11, 5%Fe and 50% scu for 12k of coverage still seems pretty high to me. But, I'm glad he wasn't trying to take advantage of me. For a low volume user like me, it isn't even price that tops my list when I buy. It's much more about customer relations and service.
I agree with you whitey...you are getting screwed!

I don't use you analysis....but I do use a 30%N with 50%SCU and it is less then 1/2 of what you are paying!

Not comparing apples to apples...but again you need to look at your cost/N and then also the SCU and Fe etc.

I would say just guessing that a product like that would probably cost me 13.something around here!

And again, just like we talked a few weeks ago...that is why you have to charge so much more/k. You don't necessarily net anymore/k then us...you just handle a lot more money!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
That is funny!

The cost/K on N is over 2X Lesco's price.

It is a 50# bag, but only covers 8K.

Lesco's 32% covers 16K and is alot cheaper then that!

Boy these stores know how to fool the homeowner dont' they? It would cost them $87/acre for fert only and no herb.
Rcreech, I can tell that you do your homework and can separate the B.S. from the actual truth. I like that.

What people continue to do, is fail to realize that it's not "Cost per bag", but "Cost per 1,000 sq. ft. All of our better customers are concerned about cost per 1,000 sq. feet vs. cost per bag. When comparing "Apples to Apples" or "Oranges to Oranges", you HAVE TO COMPARE the amount of active ingredients. This includes Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, amount of herbicide, amount of insecticide, amount of pre-emergent, amount of slow release and the amount of iron.

Just to verify what I'm talking about, I went into Home Depot today to compare what they're selling their products at vs. what we're selling them at. First of all, the analysis on the bags is totally different - to figure how much square footage you'll get out of a bag, divide the first number in half - on starter fertilizer, divide the middle number. Second of all, some of the bags were 46 lbs. or 49.97 pounds - NOT 50 lb bags like I sell. It's tough to compare "Apples to Apples" or "Oranges to Oranges" when all of the products are different.

I do know that my store can beat their pricing per 1,000 sq. feet. I also know that our "incidentals" like Ice Melt and Landscaping grade rubbish barrels are cheaper too. Their bag of Ice Melt was $16.97 per 50 lb. bag while ours is $14.20 - and that's AFTER our recent price hike. Our landscaping barrels are $44.00 vs. their $49.00 - for the SAME EXACT barrel.

I'm not trying to start a war here but there's been about 10 threads devoted to LESCO's pricing and I firmly believe that some of the complaints have merit while other's are so "off the wall" it simply clouds the true picture.

Discuss please.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 02-05-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug-guy View Post
it's like hissing said compare apples to apples. the bag stated 16-4-8 not the anaylsis breakdown... iron content? scu (slow release)?,minor package?
16.00 for 8000 sq ft 2.00 per 1000 . geez that retail and that's that

That's right.
It's retail, and that's that.
(if you look carefully, it does say it contains iron and micros on the picture)

I never implied I was rushing out to buy any of it!
On the contrary...I do almost all liquid fertilizer. And what dry I do use for rounds 1 and 2 I already have.
I just thought the bag design was very intriguing.

And you're right, big-guy.
The correct way to feed lawns simply isn't always all about the "# nitrogen / 1000 sq. ft." mentality that drilled into the brains of most every newbie lawn jockey.

Nitrogen derived from the atmosphere is important and needed, but it has to be kept in to perspective, in order to be a truly responsible applicator.
I've found during my quarter-century of experience there's another, more responsible way to accomplish a successful and profitable lawn business, combining some of the best attributes of cultural, organic, and 'traditional' lawn care together.

This is where the future is leading us.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I was buying starter fert. from Lesco in September of last year for $14.85. Now the cost is $29.42 for the SAME bag..... I know costs go up, but that is a load of crap.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

oops.. i posted twice (deleted)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfCo, LLC View Post
I was buying starter fert. from Lesco in September of last year for $14.85. Now the cost is $29.42 for the SAME bag..... I know costs go up, but that is a load of crap.
That price is (approx) $12-$14 out of line, from the market avg around here, at least.

From what I've seen and heard the last few months, it appears Lesco / Deere is trying to "up the ante" on themselves and their own reputation(s), and make the type of margin % off selling fertilizer that they and other similar companies in the supply business would typically make selling 'general' merchandise, garden tools , and the like.
(If this is true...they won't get away with THAT for long....!)

Either that, or possibly the JD corporate strategy is that Lesco's new "affiliation" with the globetrotting John Deere Corporation will warrant the customers to genuflect, and do "the sign of the cross" as they approach the man at the sales desk, and not even bicker over prices!!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

18-24-12 = 21 to 24$ , phosphorus is in the 500 per ton area, double last years price. you really need to add a extra charge for the application of P . the best option is to soil test and see exactly how much is needed, if any at all.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I agree with you whitey...you are getting screwed!

I don't use you analysis....but I do use a 30%N with 50%SCU and it is less then 1/2 of what you are paying!

Not comparing apples to apples...but again you need to look at your cost/N and then also the SCU and Fe etc.

I would say just guessing that a product like that would probably cost me 13.something around here!

And again, just like we talked a few weeks ago...that is why you have to charge so much more/k. You don't necessarily net anymore/k then us...you just handle a lot more money!
If you can get 24-5-11 50% 5fe for 13.00 something PM me and I'll drive there monday. Thanks