Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a heads up, Prices will be going up again on fert in the next couple of weeks in some markets.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bet you a right!

N market is going up like crazy right now on the ag side!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hate to do it because I really like the Lesco fert but I'll tell you what, I've been checking around and made some good contacts. I'll start using large quantities of dry fert in about 3 weeks. If things get too crazy, I may have to go to Plan B. I already warned my Lesco/JDL guy. We've been friends for a very long time. I told him I know some things are beyond his control but business is business. I wouldn't ditch him for just anything but I'm also not going to pay outrageous prices if I can get comparable quality $100-$200 less per ton, good friends or not! I really hate being put in this position...
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I hate to do it because I really like the Lesco fert but I'll tell you what, I've been checking around and made some good contacts. I'll start using large quantities of dry fert in about 3 weeks. If things get too crazy, I may have to go to Plan B. I already warned my Lesco/JDL guy. We've been friends for a very long time. I told him I know some things are beyond his control but business is business. I wouldn't ditch him for just anything but I'm also not going to pay outrageous prices if I can get comparable quality $100-$200 less per ton, good friends or not! I really hate being put in this position...
You are right!

Why not "buy" your fert now before the price goes up again and "lock in" your cost?

Do you buy all your fert on the spot?

Is the product that is so much cheaper the same analysis, quality, etc?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't actually put my hands on it yet but my potential source has some sizeable samples for me to stop by and take a look at. He says it's some nice looking material, nearly the exact analysis as Lesco product depending on what I want to use , $70-$140 less per ton. The brand is Pro Source. Rodney, My goal this year is to build a barn/office/shop. However, at this time I don't have any place to store more than a couple of tons. I go through that much in just over a week of full swing production.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I haven't actually put my hands on it yet but my potential source has some sizeable samples for me to stop by and take a look at. He says it's some nice looking material, nearly the exact analysis as Lesco product depending on what I want to use , $70-$140 less per ton. The brand is Pro Source. Rodney, My goal this year is to build a barn/office/shop. However, at this time I don't have any place to store more than a couple of tons. I go through that much in just over a week of full swing production.
Pro Source is top quality, very nice fertilizer to spread. Pro Source is slightly higher in price than Lesco for me. Both have great fertilizer.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadNSpray View Post
Pro Source is top quality, very nice fertilizer to spread. Pro Source is slightly higher in price than Lesco for me. Both have great fertilizer.
Thanks for your post. That makes me feel better. Now I know if I have to make the move, it won't be one that I totally regret.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like most of you guys are buying Lesco products.

The only other names I heard mentioned in 7 pages is Scotts and Anderson.

Do you not have other choices? I can easily think of 4 large names companies and another 6 local blenders that offer way better products then SCU at better prices.
Lebanon has both homogenous and mesa/expo blends
Nutrite (not a fan) has the Umaxx and FMS formulations
Agrium really pushes IBDU
Nugro (subsidiary of Agrium) also offers a full line

The local companies offer everything under the sun from liquids to water solubles to custom bleands to foliars

There is just so much more out there.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am limited due to what's available locally. My biggest problem is taking a shipment from anyone who is not in my general area (50 miles give or take) I don't have a large storage facility or a forklift to offload a tractor trailer. The other thing is price. Some of the products you mentioned I have looked at. Prices for Lebanon and Andersons run $6-$10 a bag more for me of comparable analysis. So they aren't really an option for me anyway. In some areas of the country I hear they are very competitve pricewise, not here though.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ted,

When I first started I used to use a Co called Pro Source One.

Is this the same Co?

They were out of IN but I think the one I used went out of Business.

Just wondering if you knew.