Register free!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I understand what you are saying Rodney. And nobody said it wasn't a crap shoot or a little nerve racking. Just 2 different ways of doing it.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hissing! Staygreen and Lebanon! UNifour suppl hickory, NC
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I believe part of the solution to higher fertilizer prices...is letting the lawn care industry literally (in a small way at least) go to the birds !!

http://www.wattnet.com/Archives/Docs/EI20.pdf

http://www.rogersgroupinc.com/locati...ral/Daylay.htm

The Hertzfeld facility near Bowling Green, as well as the Daylay operation in Mansfield OH, and the 'Ohio Fresh Eggs' operations that are sprawled all over the state, are getting more and more efficient in their manure handling, composting, packaging, and delivery operations all the time.

This is of course lowering the price of the product, or at least keeping it stable relative to inflation and the rest of the market, and certainly making it a more attractive option for traditional chemical fertilizer users than ever before.

Many of them, including Hertzfeld, have penned lucrative contracts with municipalities in their areas to have other solid wastes (i.e...leaves, grass, chips) brought on site and "stirred in" with the chicken manure, making the nutrient content of them ultimately more diverse and attractive to the future buyers.

So...with natural gas prices going up in processing N; costs of mining, hauling, processing raw materials going up with P & K and micros...
It only makes sense to utilize a resource that's staring us right in the face (and the nose)...if one is near enough to you to make it cost-efficient.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This idea of buyin two loads of fert has been goin on and on for a while. Been hashed and re-hashed .

Seems like if you didn't't buy two loads of fert your business is doomed . I guess everyone who didn't buy early is a dummy. That seems to be the attitude from mr. two truck loads. The margins will prolly be a little higher on those loads for Mr. two loads. ( good for him like to see people make money )

In the end anybody whose business hinges on two loads of fert is in BIG trouble anyway.

You can replace a grippy customer easier than you can replace a good employee !
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandylyin Slayer View Post
This idea of buyin two loads of fert has been goin on and on for a while. Been hashed and re-hashed .

Seems like if you didn't't buy two loads of fert your business is doomed . I guess everyone who didn't buy early is a dummy. That seems to be the attitude from mr. two truck loads. The margins will prolly be a little higher on those loads for Mr. two loads. ( good for him like to see people make money )

In the end anybody whose business hinges on two loads of fert is in BIG trouble anyway.
That is funny, because that is what my wife calls me also...."Mr two loads"?

Where are you coming from? Where do I say a business if doomed?

My point is....why not buy ahead? I still can't see how people give their customers a price without knowing their costs.

We rehash many things over and over on here all the time...and once you are around a while you will see that!

Actually it was 72 ton, but who is counting? That is nothing compared to most on here!

Is a business doomed by not buying ahead? NO

Did I save around $11K this year by buying my fert early? YES

That is $11K that I don't have to work for. It is called working smarter and not harder or letting your money work for you.

I don't have the money, I borrowed all of it...so please don't think I am bragging!

Not sure why you are bringing this up? All I did is ask if guys were nervous buying in season for a service they already priced!

Sorry I pissed you off for some reason....but to answer your question my business doesn't hinge on "2 loads" but I am glad I bought early as all of us knew the price was going to go through the ROOF!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

My point is....why not buy ahead? I still can't see how people give their customers a price without knowing their costs.

Most companies been doin that for years. Suddenly you buy fert in advance and that is the only way to do it now anybody who didn't is just dumb according to you.

We rehash many things over and over on here all the time...and once you are around a while you will see that!

Been a member for long time.

IDid I save around $11K this year by buying my fert early? YES

Excellent Good !

That is $11K that I don't have to work for. It is called working smarter and not harder or letting your money work for you.

Yes you have told us many times how smart you are . We may start to believe you if you tell us a few more times.

Not sure why you are bringing this up? All I did is ask if guys were nervous buying in season for a service they already priced!

Do you always buy before season ?? Sure everyone is prolly nervous, about fuel and fert. Paid 3.79 for diesel yesterday.

Sorry I pissed you off for some reason....but to answer your question my business doesn't hinge on "2 loads" but I am glad I bought early as all of us knew the price was going to go through the ROOF!

I buy fert from two vendors and during peak time direct from the blender. So far my prices now are VERY close to the same as LAST FALL .

You can replace a grippy customer easier than you can replace a good employee !
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not going to argue with you!

You are picking a fight with me for no reason.

This was definitly a civil conversation before you posted.

I have never said anyone was "dumb" or insinuated that. I was just curious to how differenent people opereated their business. I look to others to share with me and I do the same.

I was asking legitimate questions that I was just curious about.

Nowhere in this post have I said anyone is dumb or have I boasted.

Did you have a bad day yesterday?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is one down side of pre ordering....

In December of 06 I bought and took delivery of 10 pallets of Fert/ Dim and 10 pallets of Fert/merit all for the 2007 season.

My fert/merit price was 41.00 per bag or $16,000. At that time it was a great price for that product. Low and behold merit comes off patent and the product is produced by other manufacturer and causes the price of this product drop. Because I am a symboit member my prices are fixed and in July of 07 my new price for merit is $28.00 per bag. That's a $13 difference or $5200 for my order.

I was not happy.

But my lesco rep step up and worked with corporate and got me 100% of the difference in a lesco store credit. So in the end it worked out good for me. But in reality they could have said too bad.

Another is space, and whether or not you got the right insurance to cover $20,000 worth of material sitting for a long period of time. I was so nervous that whole winter about frozen pipes, fire or anything else that could go wrong with my shop.

Am I nervous about this year and not having pre ordered my product, maybe just a little. But I do believe that these prices will level out just a bit and in the end things will be very similar to years past.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

James in that situation you simply send the product back for a refund. Even if you lose the trucking fee you will still not lose anywhere near 5200 bucks.

At even the threat of sending it back you will be amazed at how many strings are pulled in your favour.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cormier View Post
Here is one down side of pre ordering....

In December of 06 I bought and took delivery of 10 pallets of Fert/ Dim and 10 pallets of Fert/merit all for the 2007 season.

My fert/merit price was 41.00 per bag or $16,000. At that time it was a great price for that product. Low and behold merit comes off patent and the product is produced by other manufacturer and causes the price of this product drop. Because I am a symboit member my prices are fixed and in July of 07 my new price for merit is $28.00 per bag. That's a $13 difference or $5200 for my order.

I was not happy.

But my lesco rep step up and worked with corporate and got me 100% of the difference in a lesco store credit. So in the end it worked out good for me. But in reality they could have said too bad.

Another is space, and whether or not you got the right insurance to cover $20,000 worth of material sitting for a long period of time. I was so nervous that whole winter about frozen pipes, fire or anything else that could go wrong with my shop.

Am I nervous about this year and not having pre ordered my product, maybe just a little. But I do believe that these prices will level out just a bit and in the end things will be very similar to years past.
Symbiot's finished with Lesco / Deere...for 2008 at least, right ?