Register free!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you have to have a license to apply pesticides?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
Very easy question...NONE!!! Use chemicals, organic treatments, Preen, Seven, or anything else, but NEVER USE FABRIC.

Listen guys, this is not a debate. I'm didn't post this for opinions, I posted it for newbies to understand that landscaping fabric is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY and is sold 95% in retail markets for that reason.

Ask your local nursery what they think about landscaper's fabric...
What do you put under your rock? When building a Wall what do you use between the earth and backfill rock?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
Very easy question...NONE!!! Use chemicals, organic treatments, Preen, Seven, or anything else, but NEVER USE FABRIC.

Listen guys, this is not a debate. I'm didn't post this for opinions, I posted it for newbies to understand that landscaping fabric is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY and is sold 95% in retail markets for that reason.

Ask your local nursery what they think about landscaper's fabric...
It's comments like this which make everyone dumber for having read it.
Oh yes, it is a debate, especially when you make a blanket statement like you have.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
It's comments like this which make everyone dumber for having read it.
Oh yes, it is a debate, especially when you make a blanket statement like you have.
If you call it a debate, then have at it. I don't like the confrontation so much.
Did you want me to site references...okay:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...od_vs_bad.html
http://tropicalembellishments.blogsp...pe-fabric.html

and I like this one the best:

http://www.eioba.com/a40174/landscap...er_landscaping

To correct my WAY TOO AGGRESSIVE statement, there are some uses for it, but we certainly do not use it when installing cultivated beds. As a matter of fact, we ONLY use it in gravel applications.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

You're right, there are some uses for it. The third site you referenced above even confirms this. I hate fabric as much as the next guy and educate clients about all aspects related to using/not using fabric, but yes, it has its uses. I apologize if I ruffled your feathers, but what do you expect when making such a statement.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you are really looking for a fabric i would say use a Geo fabric some people are saying to use it and some say not to BUT if the customer want's it then use it. this fabric will last 20 to 30 yrs, it is a pain to put it down and you will still have some thing growing in it .still using the right amount of mulch is still the best thing i hope that helps . some times people on here kind of go off the deep end but we live in this country and it is a freedom of speech .
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Im not a landscaper, so I wont give valuable and practial advice..

So... sorry.. but what about planning your gardens properly? Chemicals, fabrics- geez.. ! I do mostly functional gardens that yield based on some intelligent planning. Synergised planting and complementary 'systems'..

PERMACULTURE >> theres some good ideas there. Plant correct combinations. Plant susceptible species near natrually repellant ones..
Dont try to control nature, and lets learn how to work with it. More.

Provide clients with the potential for homegrown yield, and they'l end up making money and food and joy, rather than pesticide companies poisining our
waters.. As landscapers, I percieve a large part of your job as 'educating'.
We all need to continue engineering our markets, or if you dont, telly will do it for you. Then you'l always be catching up to Bourkes backyard and all the other crappy magazines
Start engineering options and possibilties, rather than providng solutions people havent even wondered.

Now, most of the species that are sprayed and or controlled near my home, are fantisitcally edible healthy plants and herbs.
Its kind of like growing rice in australia, rather than kangaroos. Backwards stuff!

Peace
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a great example of why a good landscaper should not use fabric in ormamental beds. I despise this stuff- and when it's (too often) used in combination with a "rock mulch," that's a setup for plants that will never truely thrive. Team-Green is correct to advise customers against installing fabric. It's a rookie, homeowner product- rarely installed correctly (if there is a correct way), it always heaves up and shows, forget about grasses or perennials.... OH, and you'll get weeds in your organic mulch anyway!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
just wondering whats the best landscape fabric to use for flower beds as a weed barrier?
None... it is all junk