Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2001, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to play around with it this weekend and see what I come up with.
Bill!
Old 11-03-2001, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Craig

Quiote
"I have been thinking of moving the cabinet closer to the hot water heater(gas), in the garage. Any other thoughts on this matter would be appreciated."

Please don't light up your life.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,
I'm talking about moving the cabinet a little closer to the water heater. I don't think that I have any pesticides that are flammable. Do you know something that I don't about the flashpoints of RoundUp, 2,4 D and the like. That light up your life thing scares me.
Thanks, Bill!
Old 11-03-2001, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Craig

Page L-388 Blue Book T & O Monsanto products Roundup Pro

" This Product or spray solution of this produce react with such containers and tanks to produce hydrogen gas which may form a highly combustible gas mixture. This gas mixture could flash or explode, causing serious injury, if ignited by open frame, spark, welder's torch, lighted cigarette or other innition source"

You can get this same label on line at www.bluebooktor.com or at www.cdms.com

Take the time to read the label and labeling of all chemicals you use. Roundup is one of the best products since the wheel. It can be used as a 1. select herbicide on grass 2. non-select herbicide on herbaous plants 3. as an over the top on ornamentals 4. a growth regular on grass. 5. woody plant & tree killer 6. as an excellance innition source for garage fires.

I would take urbanearth Alans advise and run a copper line from the water heater. But also vent the garage so you don't built up gases. Pesticide and chemical safety and IPM has been drilled into my head so hard that I stay up tight about it. LOL

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-04-2001, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,
Just to be a pain, you should work for the news industry, as you seem to have missed a big part of that warning you quoted just for sensationalism (Just kidding!).
The quote refers to "such containers and tanks". If I remember correctly, this is in reference to galvanized material. If the product is stored in its original poly container, there is no such risk of gas production.

Alan
Old 11-04-2001, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alan

You caught me. "Ric's Weekly World News" But I made you read the label. I would like to think you are with me on the open flame gas water heater.

Chemicals can be very dangerous if not handled right. How many of us will put liguids on a shelf and bag good on the floor below them??? Yes I am guilt. Hello Oakahoma.

"An oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure." My mother told me 4,239 times. Maybe we all need to take her advise when it comes to chemical safety.

Thanks Alan

Old 11-05-2001, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep forgetting to check the lable on the Round-Up, but check the lables to see what would happen to them if they frezze. Most of them should have it on there.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill, I live in your area and I also keep my chemicals in my garage. I have not had a problem with it freezing. You might consider moving the cabinet to an inside wall (a wall with the house on the other side of it). You also can purchase ceramic heaters that are less dangerous than many others. Leave it on the lowest setting so it will only come on when it gets real cold. In an enclosed space like that it would not take much to keep it above freezing.

Just my .02
Old 11-05-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check the penny savers for an old fridge, put it in the basement and install a lock on it. The kids won't get in and it won't freeze. Even if you leave the fridge in the garage the stuff probally won't freeze. I used to have one for welding rods to keep them dry, a 25 watt bulb provided enough heat, disconnect the door switch so it stays on if left in a cold area.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I moved the cabinet this weekend. It is on an inside wall, about 4' from the hot water heater. We'll see hoe it goes.
Thanks Bill Craig!