Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2001, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArboristSite
[It isnt in selling lawnmowers or engines.

I agree with you here.
It is real hard for a small dealer to sell a lawn mower, push or riding, when their cost is more than what one of the big chain stores sell it for.
The same holds true for the engines when folks can buy them from Northern Tool and other such places.
What the small dealer usually sells is service after the sale which is what Wally-world, K-smart, and Northern can't sell you. Still when you go into many of the small shops and talk to the guy behind the counter you are also talking to the guy who fixes stuff when it breaks, sweeps the floor, and takes out the trash; and they are just a middleman between the distributor and you and have little or no say on whether you get a junk-from-the-get-go engine replaced.
Bill
Old 11-04-2001, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

True, there is always some reject helping you. I always figured as a dealer I had the chance to meet Northern's price if necessary. I just had to decide if the engine died was it worth the time to warranty. If it was too low, c-ya. What people dont know is some of the engines are seconds they are buying. Then sometimes, especially true with a new Honda, they are hard starting out of the box, and they expect the dealer to get it started. Most of time this isnt a warranty situation. Oh well enough rambling.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ArboristSite wrote:
What people dont know is some of the engines are seconds they are buying. Then sometimes, especially true with a new Honda, they are hard starting out of the box, and they expect the dealer to get it started. Most of time this isnt a warranty situation.

And just who's problem should a situation like that be? Unless the engine is clearly marked as being a second from the factory how can Honda or the dealer deny a warranty claim? This isn't a buyer beware world you know.

Old 11-05-2001, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArboristSite
[B]True, there is always some reject helping you. ]

WHOW!! I guess that something got lost in the translation here.

I in no way intended to imply that the small shop owner was a reject.
Most of the small shop owners work extremely hard to satisfy the customer because the small shop relies on word of mouth and repeat business more than any large shop or discount store ever will.
How can the small shop owner compete with the discount store on price? Unless the small shop is selling items at a loss. As a small dealer I have to pay more for an MTD 20" push mower than the customr can buy it for at Wally world. But then when is the last time Wally world replaced a flywheel key on that mower after the customer hit the edge of the sidewalk with the blade? I have and in the interest of getting the customer back I did it for "no charge" and I sharpened and balanced the blade also.
Maybe that's why I have trouble making the money last till the end of the month though, ya think?
Bill
Old 11-05-2001, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

No I know many dealers work very hard, but that doesnt mean they know what they are doing.
Dealer can deny claim, if he doesnt want to help you that's how. Dealers make crap doing warranty. If you bought it somewhere else. Take it somewhere else. I am (was in) business to make money, not to help you with an engine you bought somewhere else. If you bought it from me, different story.
The way a small business owner makes it (by the way I could beat any of the prices from a big box store) but you make 10% on them, not interested. You sell quality equipment, not MTD. You sell service, quality equipment, and validate your price. I used to show people what I paid for it and what their price was. I was the biggest store in Denver. I did well. I am saying, I have met a lot of store owners, and know why the are small. They work hard, but working smart thats a different story. Sorry, you thought I took your quote wrong. I just went on a little more than you.