Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2001, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

billing periods

How does everyone bill there clients? Per job, or monthly billing, or per season?

Thanks for any advice, I'm a newguy to the industry, do some lawn care on the side, now I want to make a business of it.

and also, I just bought a Ferris SD 36" walk behind, with a 13 HP
Kaw, is this enough to pull cart(the ones you stand on), and does ferris even offer one?

Thanks, Burton's Lawn Care...........
Old 10-31-2001, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing 1x/mo if they are per cut
fert programs when we are there
sprinkler service, at the office the day its done
sprinlkler installs, when completed
aeration, seeding etc, cod, due upon completion if we can
full service mowing maint contrs, Feb dep, 9 mo bills Mar-Nov
Old 10-31-2001, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty much the same here......
Old 10-31-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I would bill monthly, people dont want a large bill. You can get Jungle Wheels for the ferris along with most sulky's will fit it. Jungle wheels is usuall 249.99 to 299.99 at stores- online at www.alamia.com its 229.99 and shipping is cheap with no tax, i would get that
1994 33in Troy built
3 21in toro super recycler
1994 noma tractor
leaf vacum/shreader
3 weed wackers
2 Blowers
Alot of landscaping equip.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:03 AM
Banned

we bill monthly, all payments due in full by the 7th of the following service month. all accounts not payed in full by the 7th are subject to a 5% penalty. all acounts 14 days past due are suspended untill payed in full. any deliqent accounts must be payed by cash, certfied check or money order. no personel checks on over due accounts.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greenstar-do you have much success with that system?

that is, do people mostly pay current? and those that pay past due, do they pay the 5%?

i know a lot of members here have the same policies but their success varies. in my area the compitition is so fierce my fear is that instituting a similar policy would result in lost customers.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-01-2001, 10:31 AM
Banned

i have had no problems with that formula. you need to stand to your guns and realize it YOUR money. if a client will not pay the set fee that we established then i will not service the account. i don't lose sleep over deliquent accounts it's not worth it i have a budget to hit, so a $25 deliquent account can be replaced by a $32 pre-paid account. it's that easy. it really comes down to your own dignity.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i guess i just see chasing people for money as part of my business. dont get me wrong, i know you cant let people get 2, 3 or more months behind. but i probably get only 15%-20% of my payments within 7 days. so instituting a penalty would be quite a bold move. i know you can always replace customers, but i prefer to keep the ones i have as well if i can.

i'm going to give the situation some thought over the winter. maybe this spring i'll need to toughen up the payment terms.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-01-2001, 02:31 PM
Banned

you need to keep in mind that all of us as a whole make up an industry. does your visa card not charge a late fee, damn buddy blockbuster even charges a fee. what makes our buisness different? you chase down customers because you don't want to lose them, i dont chase them down because i'm not a bill collector.
our industry is no different than any other it all comes down to how you run YOUR operation. you could model your company after any other coperation regardless of the line of work. if there is any open line of payment then collection terms must apply. if you only collect 20% of your payments on time that leaves 80% of revenue that can not be accounted for, so if you went to a bank for a loan to expand and you showed 80% of open revenue would you get the loan? most likely not, i would see a problem with the buisness structure. do ya see what i'm saying. email me if you need some more help
Old 11-01-2001, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all, I bill on a 30 day cycle. Just think about all of your bills. I'll bet most are on a 30 day cylce. It makes it easier for your clients and it the way most business' handle services rendered. I politely add "Due upon reciept" and "If not remitted within 30 days late charges will accrue at a rate of 20% per 5 days" This little reminder will usually make your clients pay on time.
Now as for the sulky.... I have a 36" gear drive and I have used a sulky on it but I took it off. You see, at the end of the row, because your wheel base is about the same as the deck width, you will usually leave a little tear drop shape of uncut grass if you just turn around at the end of the row by stopping one wheel and zipping around. 36 inchers are great for gated yards, but there one draw back is the fact that they are more difficult to use a sulky with. If you do use one, this is how I had to do it. I would make 2 complete circles around the perimeter and then I would go beyond where I just cut and turn around so that I would not leave that little sprig uncut. This is just my opinion and I hope it helps you out. Good luck and sorry about the long post. I get a little windy at times.