Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wanting to start new organic lawncare business

I want to start a new organic lawn care business. Most things I see and read are geared toward homeowners but I am needing more of a commercial aspect. Where to get the supplies, so forth.

Any help would be nice.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I plan on going for it myself this year. Commercial accounts are going to be difficult to persuade. Home owners are interested either in adequate lawn at low cost or the lawn to brag about with their friends.

Once you have established success in a neighborhood it is then easy to say this will work for you too Commercial accounts will not tolerate failure so you need to be sure of what is happening to the turf before you promise anything.

For low end customers you can mow at 3.5 to 4.0 inches leaving the grass clippings, either mulched or blown. Top dress with compost even if you can only pickup a few bags at the local Home Depot.

If you need to get fancy for more intense lawn owners add corn meal, soy meal etc. or even milorganite (farm supply co-ops) over the course of the summer and into the fall as long as the ground is warm. Remember organics do not do much in colder weather.
I like the Milorganite for the iron content which is good for grass color.

Compost teas are of course a good idea according to most folks here, but I would make sure the client is willing to pay the expense of it. This may be necessary for lawns that really need revitalization and need to be core aerated before you move forward with the teas, solids and fertilizers.

Don't start fertilizer as soon as active growth starts in the spring. The roots will find plenty of nutrient deeper in the soil unless they get it all right at the surface. Shallow and dead surface roots do not allow movement of much water and air into the roots zone. You probably knew all of this, but when it comes together in a program, it becomes an inexpesive process of growing grass.

If you follow through, keep us posted on your experience. So far there has been alot of talk but no real experienced people talking about their individual ups and downs in the lawn care market.