Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2001, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking of getting a certificate in Turfgrass Pest Management

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this. I think any knowledge that I get will help me out in the long run.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I'm not in the business yet, I'm working on certification in turf grass management. I'll also be taking classes this weekend to get certified in landscape irrigation. I don't think you can have too much education.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lone Star

I don't know what it takes to get a ticket in Texas but in Fla. it takes 3 years working under some one elses ticket. The cert test in Fla. is second only to Calf. in fail rate. That is not to say you can't hire a cert. oper. and have him work for you, but he is in charge. You are the lic. holder but if he quits you, you have to hire an other or close your doors. The harder it is to get a ticket the more it is worth.

If you can get a ticket it will increase you business 10 fold. You can offer a full package one stop shopping. You already have a horizonal market that you can take verical also the pest will bring in new mow and landscape acc. It puts you in a different class and seperate you from the scrubs. Your competeiors will be True Green Yard Care and Davey not the Lawn Butcher.

Another fact that might make you work hard for a ticket is.
If you sell your business what can you sell an acc for?? If you sell a pest acc. the big boys will pay a dollar on the dollar for each yearly acc. Just think of getting a whole years gross income with no expense and the Equip is not included in this price. In Fact they generally don't want the Eqiup. But You might even get good will.

Ric
I can't Spelllll but 2+2=5
Old 10-31-2001, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't refering to a Pesticide License Ric that is different. That we do not have to worry about. This is for CEUs for the extensions on the Pesticide License and happens to be a complete course as well. This just happens to be one of the options. By the way in Texas you just go take a test and after passing show proof of liabilty insurance to receive your license. After the first year you must get CEUs to continue to have your license.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OOOPs I am bad
Old 10-31-2001, 09:58 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
There really are very few pest that attack turfgrass esp. the endophite (sp) enhanced varieties.

You could learn this in a week of just independent learning. There is much info you can glean for Free on the internet.

Arborculture and pest that attack tress and shrubs is much more challenging. Just identifying the plant can be step then every species of plant has a specific pest that attacks the plant.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stone there is much more to it than just that.

Chemical Pesticides, Safety, Equipment, Dieases, Weeds, Arthropod Pests, and Vertibrate Pests.

This also satifies CEUs as mentioned. Free info will not cover that.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think its a great idea! I have thought about getting some certs myself. Mabey this winter.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:00 AM
Millenium Member

Back to the subject...

Alan, I think it is a great idea, reading on the web is one thing however it will not teach you everything. Learning in accredited programs will help you not mis-dignose things such as crabgrass, poa-annua, red thread, bentgrass, soil conditions and such. Purdue University has one and I can't find the link, the other is below:

http://www.gactr.uga.edu/is/turf/whatisturf.html

http://www.plcaa.org/colp2.html
Old 11-01-2001, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a must do for the serious operator.