Register free!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Applying Lime to a residential lawn

Just received a soil test back indicating that I need to apply 100lbs of lime per 1000sf in applications not greater than 50lbs at one time with the second application in 6 months. This is fine but what is the best way to ensure that I am really appling at a rate of 50lbs of lime aper 1000sf. Is is best just to meassure the area and start throwing lime down? Or is there an easy method for ensuring that I am at least in the ballpark? Probably a simple question for most but I have never actually had to do this before. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you applying with??
Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

How big is the lawn?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

The actual lawn to be limed is approx 1.25 acre. I have a standard walkbehind broadcast spreader (Scotts SpeeyGreen). But am willing to buy a new spreader if it will make a difference. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

what kind of lime would you be useing, if it is a prilled lime like cal prill and your spreader holds at least 50 lbs just set your spreader and start spreading it really sholdnt take that long. I wold figure 25 lbs per thousand and then apply every 3 months. it will take time for it to break down and get into the system and you will get better effect over time instead of giveing large doses all at once, maybe 50 lbs the first app. then 25lbs ever 3 months, at a rate of a 100 lbs per 1000 your in seriously bad shape were ther any other recommendations to go along with that on like soft rock phosphate
if you know where your suppose to be at 10 lbs per 1000 with fertilizer just open that baby up and start spraeding the thing about lime is you cant burn your existing grass with it. with a 50 lb walk behind spreader I can have that on in about an hour or less, Good luck wrs1
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrs1 View Post
what kind of lime would you be useing, if it is a prilled lime like cal prill and your spreader holds at least 50 lbs just set your spreader and start spreading it really sholdnt take that long. I wold figure 25 lbs per thousand and then apply every 3 months. it will take time for it to break down and get into the system and you will get better effect over time instead of giveing large doses all at once, maybe 50 lbs the first app. then 25lbs ever 3 months, at a rate of a 100 lbs per 1000 your in seriously bad shape were ther any other recommendations to go along with that on like soft rock phosphate
if you know where your suppose to be at 10 lbs per 1000 with fertilizer just open that baby up and start spraeding the thing about lime is you cant burn your existing grass with it. with a 50 lb walk behind spreader I can have that on in about an hour or less, Good luck wrs1
You can put down over a ton of lime in less than an hour with a walkbehind spreader? You must be running your legs off!

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

adjusted amount of lime application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams View Post
You can put down over a ton of lime in less than an hour with a walkbehind spreader? You must be running your legs off!
Hey Tadams, 1 ton in an hour that would be really good I was talking about the reduced amount of lime that I was recommending he do to get started but it still wouldnt take long thats only 40, 50 lb bags spread the 40 bags out across 1.25 acers dump your first bag in open the throat all the way and start spreading because thats about what your going to have to do to put that much lime on 1 plus acer, it is truely to much lime in 1 application.
I use cal-pril its pellatized it spreads like fertilizer no fuss no muss done in a little over an hour.
I dont want to brag or complain but I have put dow 3 ton of lime in one day by myself 50 lbs at a time its not that bad.
I dont mind working hard a spreader cost $200.00 as it is and to buy a bigger one would cost even more money.for the extraa cost of the bigger spreader I will save my money for something I will use more often just being cost effective.
But you are right you dont have time to lolly gag when your putting it on 50 lbs at a time. lol
good luck
wrs1
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for lime recommendations

Guys,

Thanks for all of the input it is very helpful. I do plan on using a pellatized lime and loading up my current spreader and letting it fly. Based on some of your recommendations I believe I will go with 50lbs per 1000sf for the first application and then do 25lbs per 1000sf at 3 months and 6 months out. This should get me back to a gooh ph level. The current ph is at 5.5.

On another note; it sounds as though some of you are in the landscape business. I am not but have been considering a career change to the green industry but am struggling with the best way to make the transition. Questions I am trying to answer are: is it best just to start out on my own? should I look at possibly buying and existing landscape business? what is the income potential and can I deal with a decrease in income? Anyway, I have been considering this for many years but making the leap is a difficult decision. If any of ou have any information, or suggestions, on this issue I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first app of 50 per 1000 will prob change your ph a 1/2 point or a little more. It will prob take about 3 months for it to really start to take effect but it will definatly be worth it. It helps all of the other ferts and things become more effective if your ph is close to normal. I used to work for a company in my area and we used to put out a ton of lime a day with push spreader. It wasnt my equipment so i used to place 50# in the spreader(lesco) and put another on top the raincap. Good time to be putting it out!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever heard of Solu-cal.
It is a lime product that works faster than pelletized dolomitic limestone. Aslo, you only need to use 1/4 the amount of solu-cal that you would use in lime. If you need 100 lb lime/1000 then you would only need 25 lb solu-cal/1000