Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-01-2001, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Need Advice on Dodge

I am now looking at a 1997 Dodge Dakota. It has a 318 v-8 w/ 5-speed tranny. It has 100,000 mi. The guy said it burned 2-2 1/2 quarts of oil every 5,000 mi. He is asking $7495, but I think I can get him down to $6200-$6600. Do yall think it will need a ring job? How much would this cost? It could still be a deal, but I need to consider a ring job or whatever when I make an offer. I am going to look at it this weekend.

Thanks
Rick
Old 11-01-2001, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

go to a mechanic

and have the truck checked out, if the owner dosen't want you to do this he may be hiding something else, then consider the money to repair vs. spending a little more for a truck that does not require imediate service, and less milage, not to mention the down time, then again it may not cost to much to have the repairs made and you've come out with a pretty good deal.....

either way let a mechanic check it out, comp, front end, tranny, the works. most will do this for a small fee, and if you go to your regular mech. he may check it for free..

good luck, keith

better safe than sorry.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Go Dodge - I have a V10 with 85000 mi. and it takes 9000 miles to go thru 1 qt of synthetic and has done that since I bought it in 99 - (it is a 1997 model - 3/4 ton) The 318 should not use any oil as it is one of the best engines ever made. He is hidding bigger problems so I would be very careful.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats about a quart every 2000 miles, better than some trucks with half that mileage. 318 rarely will need rings, valve seals will be first to go with telltale smoke when cold starting.

He was probably offered 4-5000 trade in ACV(actual cash value). I think his asking price is high FWIW.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not so happy with my Dodge 1500 4X4 right now. Tranny last year. This year transfer case, all axel seals and bearings, U-joints front axels. Tansfer case went out from a damn vacuum swich for the A/C vent control. If they would have told me that if it went into 4WD and would blow out my transfer case I would not have used it. I love my Dodges but I know things happen but just had to vent with yet another $3,500 spent this year on BS stuff for the same truck.

From experiance I think I will be sticking with heaver duty truck (3/4 ton and heaver) from now on.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have owned a truck exactly like that (except it's an automatic) since it was new. The fact that he tells you how much oil is used in 5000 miles tells me right off he hasn't changed the oil at 3000 intervals (heavy or dirty service) like I would - mine has never used oil, at that rate I think you will have to do a "ring job" which usually involves much more, but maybe not for a long time - can go until it starts fouling plugs out. If you want any detailed info on that model, feel free to e-mail me.