Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Photos from a search

Is it ok to add photos to a website that you find in a google or yahoo search?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

only if you want to be black balled from the search engine and possibly find yourself in court. It is called copywright infringement. You know all the movies start with that little warning message, well that applies to images online also.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
only if you want to be black balled from the search engine and possibly find yourself in court. It is called copywright infringement. You know all the movies start with that little warning message, well that applies to images online also.

How do you know if the photo is copyrighted or not?

I have photos on the internet of work I have done that I shown to others here on Lawnsite. Does that mean they are copyrighted by me just because I put them on the net?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know the legalities of it all, but even if it is not exactly illegal, it is at the very least un-ethical and if they file a complaint with the search engine, they will drop you.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you think its unethical Southern? Whats the difference of finding a picture on search engine and using a stock photo?

I guess my point is this:

I need a picture of a plant that is fully grown for an example, I do a search for the plant, find one and post the picture on my website.

How is that doing anything wrong?

Last edited by IN2MOWN; 02-07-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

this may be some help.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/copyright-internet.htm

like here where it says:

When creating a Web page, you CAN:
Link to other Web sites. [However, some individuals and organizations have specific requirements when you link to their Web material. Check a site carefully to find such restrictions. It is wise to ask permission. You need to cite source, as you are required to do in a research paper, when quoting or paraphrasing material from other sources. How much you quote is limited.]

Use free graphics on your Web page. If the graphics are not advertised as "free" they should not be copied without permission.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't see where there is an ethical problem, then me explaining it won't make you understand. but here it goes. I take a picture of something i slaved over and post it on my site. then some scrub comes along and down loads that picture and uses it on thier site. That is my picture, not yours. What would you say to someone if you had a piece of equipment in the back of your truck and someone came and took it to use as thier own. You would be livid. Just b/c pictures and other things similar are intangible object does not mean that they are not property and belong to someone else.

Stock photography is a different situation. that is someone who says you can use their picture, buy you are going to pay a royalty on it. Basically you are letting that person borrow that equipment out of the back of your truck after they pay you a fee for it.

If you doubt what can happen when down loading pictures, try taking one of mine and letting me find out.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
if you don't see where there is an ethical problem, then me explaining it won't make you understand. but here it goes. I take a picture of something i slaved over and post it on my site. then some scrub comes along and down loads that picture and uses it on thier site. That is my picture, not yours. What would you say to someone if you had a piece of equipment in the back of your truck and someone came and took it to use as thier own. You would be livid. Just b/c pictures and other things similar are intangible object does not mean that they are not property and belong to someone else.

Stock photography is a different situation. that is someone who says you can use their picture, buy you are going to pay a royalty on it. Basically you are letting that person borrow that equipment out of the back of your truck after they pay you a fee for it.

If you doubt what can happen when down loading pictures, try taking one of mine and letting me find out.
I think you are taking this a little bit out of context.

First of all I'm wondering how you can tell the difference between a photo that has a copyright on it and a stock photo.

Secondly, I know that stealing photos off of another's website is wrong.

It goes back to the 2nd post of mine which was:

How do you know if the photo is copyrighted or not?

I have photos on the internet of work I have done that I shown to others here on Lawnsite. Does that mean they are copyrighted by me just because I put them on the net?

Again, I know the difference between stealing and being legal. I don't know how to tell what is legal and what is not when it comes to photos on the web and that was the point to this thread.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
this may be some help.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/copyright-internet.htm

like here where it says:

When creating a Web page, you CAN:
Link to other Web sites. [However, some individuals and organizations have specific requirements when you link to their Web material. Check a site carefully to find such restrictions. It is wise to ask permission. You need to cite source, as you are required to do in a research paper, when quoting or paraphrasing material from other sources. How much you quote is limited.]

Use free graphics on your Web page. If the graphics are not advertised as "free" they should not be copied without permission.

That clears up a lot. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have ANY questions about the rights to use a photo (or anyone else), contact the owner or site administrator where you see it. Of course, they may have pirated it, so be careful... You may want to consider purchasing Horticopia. In addition to being a great resource, I seem to recall that the Pro package (double check me here) comes with license to use the plant images on the web.