Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I need help..

I'm starting a new Lawn Care business (in GA) in the near future and I'm struggling with the equipment that I need to start off. I've been doing research on Toro and Exmark (Walk-behind)but not sure what to get. The same with the small commercial equipment. Can any one help with suggestions or ideas to start a profitable and professional business?? I signed up to Lawnsite.com today and I think everyone has great suggestions and experience in the business. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site..... Do a search ........... you'll find lots of good advice.
John Deere Gator
Mowers, Trimmers, Trailers
Horses, Cats & Dog
No Help
Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

be carefull about going out and spending 20,000 right off the bat......
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do a search and I'll find good advice...???
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Look under the ads at the top of the screen and click on search. you can search all the threads and find what you need
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Do you have a business plan? Will you target small or large properties? Only residential or commercial too? Answer those questions first. Knowing what target customer base you want should have a lot to do with what equipment you purchase. One would not buy a 60" machine if half his accounts have gated backyards. Keep your overhead low. Set your goals and have a plan.

Even where you spend your ad budget depends on your target client base. Think it through thoroughly. Too many guys just buy equipment and trust to good luck. If only it were that simple, and that easy.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

GA, do you guy's have any grass left to mow? I heard that last summers drought killed off just about everyones lawn. You may want to get into lawn installation, renovation and irrigation. I hope things go better for you guys down there this year, good luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Get your clients first. You don't need a lot of expensive equipment.
There is a very successful guy here who only uses push mowers.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Near Atlanta?

Near Atlanta?

OMG there's LOTS of competition in the Atlanta area. Several big dawgs like Brickman, Scapes, Gibbs, EdCastro and too many dude-and-a-truck-with-a-trailer companies to count.

So, guess my point is 1) hope you're not in the Atlanta area, or 2) if you are around ATL, be prepared to slug it out with Hilly Tommy and Edgaurdo and his brothers low balling prices. Do lots of marketing and/or face to face cold calling. Do a GREAT job when you do do a client! Keep constant communication with everybody. Charge enough to make some money.

I saw a post recently that went something like this: Just having the right equipment won't make you successful. Another of my favorites is: NOTHING happens until somebody makes a sale!

You can make it happen, it will take WORK!

Best wishes,
Mark in ATL
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Do you have a business plan? Will you target small or large properties? Only residential or commercial too? Answer those questions first. Knowing what target customer base you want should have a lot to do with what equipment you purchase. One would not buy a 60" machine if half his accounts have gated backyards. Keep your overhead low. Set your goals and have a plan.

Even where you spend your ad budget depends on your target client base. Think it through thoroughly. Too many guys just buy equipment and trust to good luck. If only it were that simple, and that easy.
I will target small and large residential accounts. It's a bit too early to target commercial accounts. I will like to gain more experience in the field before I commit to big commercial accounts. Being that I'm targeting residential jobs, I'm looking to purchase a commercial walk-behind maybe 36" or 42" to start off. I think this would suffice for properties here in GA.