Register free!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum GaGolfSup I hope we hear a lot more from you in the future.
I am experienced with cool weather grasses it would be great to know some inside info about zoyzia, bermuda, centipede, st augstene (sp?)

do these have deep roots in the right environment also?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia and bermuda are deep rooted, St. Augustine is also, but St. Aug has a very poor "drought mechanism". Turf stands are lost during extended drought periods, whereas bermuda and zoysia can recover when rainfall or irrigation occurs.

St. Augustine does fine around coastal areas where rainfall is plentiful, but where extended drought periods are the norm, zoysia and bermuda need less "intensive" care. Develop a deep root system, and they'll hold up well

I don't know a damn thing about centipede!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet View Post
I don't know a damn thing about centipede!
Isn't that a critter with a mess of legs?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipede is actually a great grass. Where I am at it is used in 90% of new construction lawns. It is a very low maint. turf. It can tolerate soil pH in the 5's and still perform well, needs mowing 10-14 days, needs less water than st.aug., zoysia, or bermuda. And it only needs about 1-1 1/2 lbs of N a yr (I know it's the organic site and we don't look at things as lbs per 1,000. its just university recomendations) Personally I have not done anything to my lawn that was sodded about 2 1/2 years ago and the area that was sodded is 95% weed free. Could be a 100% w/ a lil elbow grease. I think last year I only turned my sprinkler on 3 or 4 times. It is a great turf I think personally. Some people do not like it because it is not as dark green as st. aug. but it is darker than most cool season varieties.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

like i said, all i've seen are clay soils with bermuda being in the top few inches... I guess when I did fight it in my beds I never could get to the bottom of the roots with there being much better soil.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Newby08, I know what you mean with the clays. Using the typical 5 or 6 apps of synthetic fertilizer and watering every other day the bermuda never will get very deep. You have to make it work for its water and nutrients. If it needs to it will break through even that tough Georgia red clay.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gagolf do you only do organics as a business or just at home? If so have you had a pretty good reception to it here?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe GaGolfSup is a Georgia Golf Course supervisor at least that is my suspicion
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, yeah, that would make since... I feel stupid.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I am actually a former golf course superintendent. I worked on golf courses for fifteen years and was an assistant or superintendent for ten. I have been working for a school system as a grounds coordinator for the past six months. It is a different world for sure....Anyway I have used organics on my golf course and at home. At neither place were they exclusive. Due to the pressures of quick results I have never gone cold turkey to synthetics. I am leaning more and more on that being the way to go...Last year I used a combination of Milorganite and a granular humate product on my home lawn. I know some will argue against this being organic. Anyway, I watered my lawn four times deeply in early May last year to help it transition from dormancy. I did not water the rest of the year and I had one of the greenest lawns in the neighborhood. I also had very deep roots. This year the plans are to use compost topdressing, CGM, and an app or two of Milorganite.

On the golf course I have used a product called Nature Safe as well as the aforementioned humate product. Nature Safe is a blend of different meals. Had I stayed on the golf course, I was planning on doing a few test plots with strictly organic.