Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=GaGolfSup;2148941]I I am leaning more and more on that being the way to go...Last year I used a combination of Milorganite and a granular humate product on my home lawn. I know some will argue against this being organic. Anyway, I watered my lawn four times deeply in early May last year to help it transition from dormancy.

On the golf course I have used a product called Nature Safe as well as the aforementioned humate product. QUOTE]

The Milorganite I am familiar with but the humates are new to me. I read they are applied in small amounts and you seem to have an annual program that includes them. They are ok in repeated applications?

Also deep watering for early growth after dormancy of turf. 4 times no less. I love it
I assume you have clay to deal with as well - Do you find that it is able to 'retain' the water vs. 'repel' when you do get rains?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Clay will retain water actually better than most soils. The problem is getting it in the profile to begin with. I think the organics go a long way towards making the soils less repellent. It takes time though. I look at turf almost like a child. The first year or two it is not really capable of maintaining itself. As you build the soil profile and it gets deeper and deeper roots the more self sustaining it will be. Aeration is important at first, but I think it becomes less important as your turf matures and you feed it correctly. If you get the microbes working and the earthworms working, the soil opens itself up.

The humates contain so many micronutrients that I think it is a great beginning program. I have only been using them for a few years. I think soil testing is key, because long term use could result in heavy metal buildup. The other problem is they are mined in Utah, so it is not exactly the most environmentally friendly thing having them shipped from there.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

GaGolfSup
There is actually an excellent source of Humate very near you in Atlanta. The mine is owned by one individual that keeps it to himself and lets only a few folks use or market it. turfpro is one of the companies that bottle it
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ICTBill I'll check it out.