Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
A bobcat will always out produce a two man, hand held auger and will eliminate a dislocated shoulder, especially in large scale applications,imfo.
Ehh, I mean 270 is a big number, real big so I know where you're coming from, a lot of it comes down to conditions
Tons of other stuff
Old 02-08-2008, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

six men should be a easy project as long as you use the loader to move the trees.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It wil take a 36" auger for 2.5" trees. I don't even think that is available in two man. Bobcat is the only way to go in this app. If I can get trees real close to install I have found a mini x to work good for tree placement too.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd almost get two augers going. a 2.5" tree isn't so bad that it can't be handled from the truck to the ground. Since it along a street you should be able to get the truck right to the hole.

How are you going to get your water so you can water the tree's in, and do you also need to stake/guy the trees? This all adds time..

Also keep in mind, don't get to far ahead of yourself with the holes. unless you plan of coning them off or some other method of protections to keep stupid people from falling the holes. a simple 4x8 sheet of plywood is great for this...

Don't Forget....MISS UTILITY.....

But if you are going with one auger, and one with forks, Id have one guy drive the truck, one guy in the back, and one guy on the skid loader to unload and place the trees near the hole ahead of the guy on the auger. the two guys with the auger, roll the tree into the hole, back fill straighten and move on.

then once the load crew has enough trees for the day laid out, they can come back and water/stake the trees.

The only thing that could screw you up is if the trees are far away from were need to plant them. IE how far do you need to go to pickup the trees for each day? or are they going to be dropped on site. Remember the skidloader can't move as fast as a truck so having it running back and forth from were the trees are being unloaded and loaded could add time.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Six guy’s two bobcats that is an easy week all you need is a good leader on that crew.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

heck if you really want to motivate them, you can put an incetive like 50 cents a tree for each of them if your done in 5 days...or pay them a flat rate of 3 bucks a tree as their pay for the week....

The key is you have seven days to get all the trees in the ground. so if you can at least do 40 trees a day, your ok...What happens if you go over the deadline. what kind of penalties? What if it rains?, ect, stuff outside your control?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im confused it the tree 2" tall or a 2" trunk?

I once planted 200 pines thae the gov was giving away on my property. They were about 6" tall. I used a pic, just poked a hole and planted the trees. It took less than half a day.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

To answer a few of your questions - We can go over the week limit But are really trying not to, the project is about 3 hours away from the shop so we will be going and getting rooms for the employees and would like to keep this portion of the job in the week time frame.

This is only one portion - the rest of the job will consist of 1400 shrubs and other trees, around 6,000 bales of pine needles and approximately 500000 sq/ft of sod along with the fine grading (anyone in raleigh want to subcontract some work let me know)

As far as the watering goes we will be bringing our water trailer with us and taking care of the water and I have a family member in the area who will continue the watering the next few weeks till irrigation gets installed.

As far as delivery they will come on tractor trailer straight from the grower and will be dropped off in a few spots along the street.

Has anybody ever used a tree boom before?? Was looking into one but havn't ever seen one in use or tried one myself.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartok View Post
I lined up a job through a family memeber to plant 270 2 1/2 inch street trees but I only have one week to do the job. Can this be done? What I was thinking is I have one bobcat with an auger and would rent one more and use a 6 man crew.

Bobcat w/ auger go down row and dig holes after there marked
Bobcat with two laborers place trees in holes
2 laborers to fill in the holes.

Does this sound like it may work?
Yah man your golden it will move quicker then you think.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2.5" caliper....which means the trunk is 2.5" in diameter usually about 8-10 feet tall with the B&B

Single trunk deciduous trees when you purchase them, they are spec'd by trunk diameter, not my tree height. hence the reference to 2.5" multi stem trees, river birch, crepe myrtles, ect, are spec'd by height... and most evergreens are spec'd by height as well.