Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2001, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Landscaping work leads to high places

Well, this is about as crazy of a story as they get buck hang in here with me. I am so excited I can barely type...

So about 3 years ago we did some work for this guy I know in trade for future stock in his company. It was the dead of winter and my guys had nothing to do anyway. Furthermore, there were very minimal costs involved other than labor. So long story short, we did about a $3000 job for this guy and in return, when his new company went public, which was to be later that year, I would get $3K of stock at the IPO.

Well about that time, we began to go into a recession and tech and internet stocks began to plumit. Timing was no longer good for an IPO so we've been waiting ever since. Now 3 years later we still don't have anytihing to show for the work we did.

However, I trusted this guy. We have a lot of history together and I took him as a man of integrity and vision. So I trusted not only that his company would eventually go places and make my stock worth more but I also trusted that he would eventually pay me. All this time, this was done on a handshake. No papers were signed.

Meanwhile he's remained a great maintenance client of ours and has paid his maintenance bills every month for several years.

And all this time my friends and relatives were doubting me. Saying he'd never pay. Saying I got screwed. Saying I should sue him. Telling me how foolish I was for taking such a deal, especially when it's not in writing.

So today I get an email from him updating me on his life and business life. And he said he's sorry that I haven't been able to get any stock yet but would like to extend me an invitation to a private fundraiser dinner in D.C. with all sorts of big wigs, but namely President and Laura Bush. Cost is $1000 per plate. But He's already paid that for me! He still owes us the stock but this is just a kind of "thanks for being patient" thing.

All we got to do is fly there and we'll be dining with the big boys. What a deal! I always tell people that you can still trust people with a handshake.

Oh crap, I gotta go rent a tux! Later!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-02-2001, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you just have to trust and be patient. You did good Jim, can I go?

Way to go.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesume! More power to you! You just never know who, what or where something can happen to you......You did a good deed by TRUSTING someone and in return you got a reward. ENJOY, Have fun, and keep clear of the mail rooms down there!
Old 11-02-2001, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's definately a great opportunity to do something like that and I too would go. Yet he still hasn't payed you, but he has a $1000 for the dinner plate. Maybe he was extended or given those places at the table and is playing it off as a favor to you.
Either way, it would be exciting and I hope all goes well for you and you know him as an individual whereas I don't. Good luck and have fun at the dinner.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all i can say is WOW
Old 11-02-2001, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yet he still hasn't payed you, but he has a $1000 for the dinner plate
$2000 actually. He invited me and my wife.
Quote:
Maybe he was extended or given those places at the table and is playing it off as a favor to you.
He bought them through the company he owns, as a tax write-off I am sure. But he knows a ton of other people he could have given them to. I was just grateful to be chosen.

And although I have faith that I'll see the stock he promised me when his company does go public, I would be happy if this was all I ever got. To me, it's well worth it. You have no idea how big a Bush and GOP supporter I am. An opportunity like this like a lifetime highlight to me.

Old 11-02-2001, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, you do a $3000 job, and for your efforts you get dinner, plus you need to spring for plane ticket and monkey suit? Such a deal

BTW bring a snack as you probably wont get to eat much, usually don't at these things.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So, you do a $3000 job, and for your efforts you get dinner, plus you need to spring for plane ticket and monkey suit? Such a deal
No, this is just what I've gotten so far. Eventually I'll get the $3000 in stock and it will be worth a lot more than that one day too. I am confident of that. But even if I didn't I'd be satisfied with what I got. I guess it's difficult to understand for some people. But to me, this is a big thing.

Sheesh? Why do people have to be so pessimistic?

And as for bringing a snack goes, I could care less if they fed me one pea and a chicken strip. I'll be more than elated and honored just to be there.

Old 11-02-2001, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just it, you know him better than any of us and I guess he is at least making an effort to show some good will and faith to you.
Honestly, I might be a little nervous being in the presence of the President in this particular time that we are having. Still, the Prez, whoever it is, must carry one helluva "aura".
Old 11-02-2001, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Man, you really can't beat that. Dinner with our president. Wow. Maybe the idiot will let you put a bid in to mow the little league diamond at the White House. Of course you will have to address the bid to Dick Cheney, 'cause he makes all the decisions.

Also, don't be surprised when dinner is served if they bring out Spaghetti O's with meatballs and Fruit Roll-Ups. Gotta figure that this dinner is just a little break in the Blue's Clue's marathon!!

"Helping out Mother Earth, one lawn at a time."