Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2001, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Addict

If this guy packs it in, are you the first on the list to get paid? When the company goes public, will you get that stock, or will he think that you were already paid in full with the dinner? He was able to pay for 2- $1000 dinners and not a landscape job that you did? Kinda sounds fishy, but if you think that you may get rightfull payment in the future then hey, cool.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Wait just a minute "The Good Earth" that is about as disrespectful to the leader of the free world as one can get. Maybe you would like to rethink your response a little bit. This is a trying time our country is going through and even if I did not like the President I would show a little respect. You called my President an idiot. How many votes did you get? Have you ever run for public office? Did you graduate from Harvard? Have you ever owned a huge business such as a professional sports team? Have you ever ran a multi billion dollar war campaign? Have you ever got a coalition of many other countries to support a cause you believed in? If not then I don't think you qualify to call anybody an idiot, especially the President of The United States of America!!!! If you want to call someone an idiot in an open forum such as this, maybe you should start with the guy you see shaving every morning. This is a lawn care forum and one guy has the great fortune through his business of meeting the President and you have to turn things for the worse.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good earth, you show not only your lack of intelligence but your lack of respect for a fellow LCO. Your thoughts on the President mean nothing, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for VERY FEW people in this country. One that you will probably never get. Jim is not the neighborhood lawnboy, he runs a growing legit business and it now has allowed him the chance to meet the President.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your trip and get to meet the president personally and not just the plate that was paid for. I think it is a great honor that you are receiveing and remember you will be representing all of us. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is great Jim! You will be able to share that memory with your children for years to come, one I do not expect to ever partake of. I hope you get to meet the President, and think who cool it is that this invitation did not come a year or so ago! I could not make a trip for president Hillery, oh, I mean Bill.

Enjoy
Jay
Old 11-03-2001, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

65hoss,

I think it is great that Mr. Lewis was invited to the White House. That is a once in a lifetime thing. It is unfortunate that you got the impression that I was downing him because of that. In no way did I feel that I was conveying any disrespect to Mr. Lewis. It was an attempt at humor. Lighten up.

BKD,

Quote:
Wait just a minute "The Good Earth" that is about as disrespectful to the leader of the free world as one can get. Maybe you would like to rethink your response a little bit.
Disrespectful? Disrespectful is stealing an election from the people of our democracy. Disrespectful is running a dormant presidency until something bad happens. What if Sept. 11th never shook down? Would the man still be taking vacations and trying to find him an agenda that would win him popularity points? We can only speculate, but I know what my gut tells me. So, no, I wouldn't like to rethink my response.

Quote:
How many votes did you get?
None, not a single one. Of course I didn't run.

Quote:
Have you ever run for public office?
No, I haven't. Is that the only way you can question a leader?

Quote:
Did you graduate from Harvard?
No, Neither did Bush. He graduated from Yale, and he was was a legacy. In other words, he skated through because of his family name.

Quote:
Have you ever owned a huge business such as a professional sports team?
I do not own a huge business, but I am indeed a business owner. As for a pro sports team, George Steinbrenner owns a pro sports team. Does that mean I should vote for him? Or how about Al Davis? Heck, Marge Schott would make a fine commander in chief by that line of thought. By the way, when Bush owned the Rangers he traded Sammy Sosa to the Cubs for Bobby Whitt, a pitcher who had absolute nothing left in the tank. Another fine decision.

Quote:
Have you ever got a coalition of many other countries to support a cause you believed in?
No, sorry, I haven't. I just haven't had that opportunity yet. But I'll keep my fingers crossed, and you let me know if you find any opportunities for me to prove myself to you!! Anyway...

Quote:
If not then I don't think you qualify to call anybody an idiot, especially the President of The United States of America!!!!
You want to know why I qualify? Because my ancestors have fought for every cause and struggle this country has laid before them. From the American Revolution all the way through till now. My ancestors and myself have supported this country and what it represents: Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The First Amendment affords me the right to question the president. A right that I will continue to exercise until the man proves himself worthy of the office.

Quote:
If you want to call someone an idiot in an open forum such as this, maybe you should start with the guy you see shaving every morning.
I do that. I have no bigger critic of myself than myself. I make mistakes, we all do. But, conversely, does that give you the right to imply that I am less than mentally capable? Just wondering.

"Helping out Mother Earth, one lawn at a time."
Old 11-03-2001, 08:51 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by jimlewis

$2000 actually. He invited me and my wife.

He bought them through the company he owns, as a tax write-off I am sure. .
Why not just send him a new invoice of that landscaping work under that name of that new business?

That would be a write off correct?

Then you could take some of that $3k to the Sizzler with a 8 x 10 glossy of the pres. propped up in the chair next to yours.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me that you were willing to take the risk in the first place and you would be out mainly labour costs if it didn't fly....
Nothing wrong with that.

Now you get a once in a lifetime opportunity that you are thrilled about.

This to me sounds like one of those times when I lend money with no expectation of getting it back.... this is the only way I will lend money.

Have a great time! Pass on a hello from Canada .Tell the Pres. he's doing a great job...Would love to hear about it when you get back.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Have a great time and Say hi to George for me, and tell him I said thanks for the raise!
Old 11-03-2001, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds to me that you were willing to take the risk in the first place and you would be out mainly labour costs if it didn't fly....
Basically that was it. And it's even better than that. In the winter, we still get paid the same rate from our 150 maintenance accounts as we do the rest of the year. Yet, we don't stop by very often and so we have a lot of free time. But I am commited to giving my winter workers at least 35 hours per week regardless of whether we have work to do. And I can easily afford to do so. So often they are just working on my house, my friend's house, or doing jobs like this. Point is, they would have been busy doing something. I would have had to pay them that week anyway. So why not have them working on a job that could be potentially rewarding.

As for "The Good Earth's" comments, I choose to ignore most of them. I didn't write this to start a political fight and I am not going to participate in one in this forum. But I question his judgement and motives. I had already said I was a big supporter of G.W and considered this an opportunity of a lifetime for me. Yet, he decides to insult the occasion and the guest of honor. I don't understand why someone would want come rain on someone's parade. He claims his comments were meant to be humorous. I guess I saw them more are rude and very sarcastic. And I don't equate that with good humor. I just take it as wanting to start a fight. I can guarantee that if he were making such a post and were getting the chance to Clinton or someone I wouldn't come in and start taking shots. I would have just congratulated him and said to have fun.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon