Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What chems can i use in the same tank?

Starting a new chemical business and am wanting to know what chems I can use out of the same tanks. I take it Herbicides need their own, but what others need to be separated or can be joined? Maybe not joined but not have to worry so much about residues mixing.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I hate to be the first to ask - but are you licensed? If not, then you need to talk to the county agent for the proper study material and testing information. A license is required ( as well as some basic knowledge ) in order to apply pesticides of any type. Joe
Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm half way there. I am actually trying to aim more toward organics but I will need the regular synthetics to get some jobs done. I've been in the landscape business for about 5 years now I just never messed with chemicals much.
I'm surprised no one else has brought that up yet as far as being licensed.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The USDA requires a license to apply any type of pesticide 'for hire', this includes organics as well as 'chemicals'. The study material and the test deal with safe handling and use of the product as well as specific chemical recommendations and uses. This license is a USDA requirement, not a state or local government issue. The Cherokee county co operative extention agent can set you up. Also see the 'sticky' in this forum. Joe
Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, i got all the material already and in the process of studying. Its kind of frustrating cause it has so much about farming in it. The books alot bigger than i thought it would be too
Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby08 View Post
yeah, i got all the material already and in the process of studying. Its kind of frustrating cause it has so much about farming in it. The books alot bigger than i thought it would be too
You will need to know a lot more then is just in the books but that is a start!

Read and study as much as you can. Understanding the turf industry is just a start. You will want to KNOW and UNDERSTAND every product you use, how to use it and why.

Once you know all this you will understand what you can share tanks for and what you can't.

If you do something wrong in this business it can cost you $1000's of dollars so be careful and know what you are doing before you start!

There is much more to it then most think!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the guys round here are offering free fert and sprying of trees and shrubs with a yearly contract. There are only a handful of ag guys here and they are more concerned with the japanese beetle. After talking with one of these really smart guys (haha) there thinking is that since they dont charge for it directly they are clear of needing a license to apply chemicals. One of these guys bought a skid sprayer, its like the wild west all over again.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tank mix

Newby,
sorry to say, but the books don't cover what you can mix and what you can't. Chemical companies do not generally say if someone else's product can be mixed with theirs. You need to ferret out the information from chemical dealers and experienced people. You may need to experiment--on your own lawn of course.

However, herbicides can usually be mixed in the tank with water and with liquid fertilizer. If you drain the tank and want to change to fungicide or insecticide it usually works fine--on grass (only).

However herbicides contaminate a tank and hose--so that it is very risky to spray trees or bushes using the same equipment used to spray turf weeds. Very difficult to clean it out completely, and some types of trees are very sensitive--redbud and grapevines to name two.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I understand that someone has to start somewhere - but Jesus H Christ - read the FREAKIN LABEL - it tells all about compatibility and tank mixes.
And what is "I'm half way there"? Bull.
Either you are licensed or not.
Take the time to read a pesticide label - essentially all the information you need is contained in those 3 -6 pages of information.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bad day tx? Half way there means I'm halfway finished studying to take the test. Your right everyone has to start somewhere and you had to be here where I'm at with all of this at some point in time to. I wasn't meaning a specific chemical with another specific chemical either. What I was asking was what Riggle was getting at. Whether you are able to use herbicides in a tank and then switch over to ferts without the residual herbicides causing problems. Same question with pesticides and fungicides.

Chill out man...

Thanks for the help Riggle.