Register free!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Newby, once again - read the label.
What you are asking for is not available to be answered by one person simply due to the immense amount of variables associated with chemical types, modes of actions, climatic conditions, plant variatials and a sundry amount of other variables unique to your application.
And, no, I didn't have a bad day.
You are yet again another classic example of a person whom has no concept of chemicals, plant types, modes of actions, etc and is approaching a field of work woefully under prepared. Being licensed means diddle squat, learn the actual chemical, mode of action, the use, the plant use and most importantly - read the label.
I do not blame you completely for being under prepared as what ever state agency is testing you obviously has short standards. Yet what aggravates me is when alleged licensed pesticide applicators are using material they have no idea on how it operates, on plants they have no idea how they imbibe chemicals, charge people for this lack of knowledge then have accidents that raises my insurance rates.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Newby most guys are terrified of new competitors hence the hostility. You can purchase tank cleaners from Lesco etc. I've used them with every product I can think of never had any phototoxicity or other problems.
Best of luck with the exam.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Newby, once again - read the label.
What you are asking for is not available to be answered by one person simply due to the immense amount of variables associated with chemical types, modes of actions, climatic conditions, plant variatials and a sundry amount of other variables unique to your application.
And, no, I didn't have a bad day.
You are yet again another classic example of a person whom has no concept of chemicals, plant types, modes of actions, etc and is approaching a field of work woefully under prepared. Being licensed means diddle squat, learn the actual chemical, mode of action, the use, the plant use and most importantly - read the label.
I do not blame you completely for being under prepared as what ever state agency is testing you obviously has short standards. Yet what aggravates me is when alleged licensed pesticide applicators are using material they have no idea on how it operates, on plants they have no idea how they imbibe chemicals, charge people for this lack of knowledge then have accidents that raises my insurance rates.

Txgrassguy

Can't you guys just open the top of my head and pour the knowledge in?? I am too lazy to read old thread here at Lawsite or books on the subject. Oh forget it, I will just go to Lesco and the guy behind the counter used to work at Home Depot in the Fert Section, He'll tell me what to buy.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Newby, everyone starts somewhere. I only just got certified, and am waiting for my state pesticide registration to come back. But, txgrassguy has some points not to be taken lightly.

The question you asked is not a good question to ask at this point. If you are going to get started, you need to keep your applications very simple. Crawl, then walk before you run. I would strongly suggest joining your local turf or LCO association. There you can get sound advice for setting up a simple, safe standard program (after of course all the certs and stuff are aquired, which will take some time).

Even thinking about mixes is far too premature for you at this point. That is why you got your chit jumped on. At this point, you don't realise just how much there is to learn. It will take even the smartest most studious people at least a year before they can start cutomizing with mixes and whatnot.

There are enough products out there that will do the job without getting creative with chemicals. Know what your limitations are and stay within them. You can start with a simple per-emergent/fert app in the spring, do some spot spraying, learn to know why, how, when and IF you should use any insecticides.

You likely won't be legal until at least mid-summer anyway, at the earliest. I'd also suggest taking a course... your local association should be able to help you select one. Why do some people get upset? When pesticides are mis-applied, that can lead to restrictions and prohibitions on their use. There ARE far too many people out there doing apps that don't know what they are doing.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

You should never share the same tank you spray herbicide with, with a tank you spray turf with for weed control. Keep a separate tank for eveything, because things you can spray on a lawn will defoliate a tree or shrub (if you get into that). I have a tank for non-selective herbicide, a tank for selective herbicide, and a split tank for tree application. Sounds like alot, but using same tanks is to risky (even cleaning with it Lesco sol).

"Either your Boatswain Mate or you work for one"
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, thanks for all the concerns and advice. I understand I don't have nearly all the questions answered and probably never will. I understand that I am new at this and am wanting to do it right. That is why I put the name on here that I did... Newby, because I am a newby when it comes to chemicals. I plan on using organics for the most part and only a few select herbicides when absolutely neccessary. The question I was asking was not intended to be applied to mixing chemicals with chemicals it was more along the lines of what Boats was saying. Nonselect herbs and select herbs he says do not use the same tank. I don't want to mess with mixing any chemicals now. I was just asking if the residues of herbicides would affect the lawn if I cleaned it out and put a liquid fert in it like a compost tea or something. Thats all. Yall are getting to fancy for what I was asking and I don't plan on using any chemicals without knowing the side effects of them. Like I said, I'm new at this and I know a lot of things can go wrong which is why I'm asking so many questions and plan on asking more. I want to start slow and work my way through it with the help of you more experienced people. I'm not just going to go out and throw chemicals on the ground and hope a green turf shows up by chance.

Again, thanks for all the input any input is beneficial even if it is the kind where it seems im getting my chit kicked.

Adam

-Life is good.-
Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam

Once you do get to the point where you are ready to start mixing products, the best way to determine their compatibility, is to do a "jar test." You'll read about how to do a jar test in your study materials. The jar test will tell you if your products are compatible.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Once you do get to the point where you are ready to start mixing products, the best way to determine their compatibility, is to do a "jar test." You'll read about how to do a jar test in your study materials. The jar test will tell you if your products are compatible.
Txgrassguy,

You are 100% correct! Totally correct...and exactly on it!

Henry B,

I only go one thing to say.... I don't worry at all about competition...especially the new guys! Knowledge and experience gets you much farther then price in most instances. Customers see that!

Ric,

So true! That is hilarious!

Adam (Newby),

Study, learn, study learn! Read Txgrassguys comments and know all that and you will be able to answer your own questions. You really need to know all of that!

I would never recommend sharing any tanks for products! Even if Lesco has a tank cleaner....it is VERY hard to clean a tank and lines that good.

If you spray a lawn... then "clean" it out and then go spray tress, shrubs and or ornamental beds etc.....GET OUT YOUR CHECKBOOK!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah... unfortunately, this is a very revealing question...

you can't be studying that hard or would have allready read about this.. The Jar test is the ony way (unless covered in the labeling) to tell if 2 or more chems are compatable..

Keep studying bro... if you have a question about 2 specific chems, ask away... someone here may have allready done the testing...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what don't you understand? I've already read about the jar test and understand that. What I was asking was if you had a herbicide in your tank and was needing to spray a fertilizer or insecticide, etc, then do you need to use a new tank or can you clean and reuse the same tank. Lets say the chemicals can mix no problem and all that other stuff.

I would never recommend sharing any tanks for products! Even if Lesco has a tank cleaner....it is VERY hard to clean a tank and lines that good.

That is the answer I was looking for. I'm trying not to be rude or anything but yall are jumpin all over me for a very simple question.