Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2001, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I leave (no pun intended) for you an open invite to inspect one of my mulched lawns. A little late in the season now as we have experienced our major leaf drop, but the proof is in the thatch layer that I didn't haul off one leaf! This property 3 years ago prior to mulching would equate to about 100 bushels of leaves at least. No complaints and to say it is in an elitist neighborhood is an understatement....the houses start at $1.5M. I too was skeptical at first, but after doing this for 3 seasons now I will never haul a leaf away again. Yes sometimes it takes 2 or 3 passes at one stop, but I add that to the cost of service as the customer is not having to pay an exorbitant cleanup fee.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby,

I mulch everything in using nothing bigger than a 36" Walk-Behind, and most of my properties are maintained with a 21" Toro (small lawns out this way!). I tell the customers exactly that: I'm mulching the leaves and they're staying in the lawn. Occaisonally I get a glossy stare, but I follow that up with a brief explanation of the benefits of mulching.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok, i believe you, but would still like to see it. pennsy just too far for me, thanx for the invite. now, this will only work on lawns that are maintained and visited weekly , right? in my case, in addition to our regular clients, we place an ad in the paper for cleanups and alot of them are one timers whos lawn has a major amount of leaves, cant mulch when its like that, or can u?
Old 11-13-2001, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That becomes a little trickier, bobby.

But generally those folks that call out of the paper are not your really fussy customers.

I used to carry a publication with me from MSU that was generally the same info as started this thread. I always had a few copies with me, prepared to hand them to customers who had qualms about us mulching.

I never used them. No customers asked! But we don't do 1 time clean-ups, though.

I surmise that with some customer education and some experimentation, many contractors will see the benefits of mulching.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ill tell u what, im gonna try it. hauling away leaves is a pain in the butt!
Old 11-13-2001, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anytime you want to stop by and scope out a mulched lawn just let me know.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds good L.J., how bout friday morning? oh wait, u dont even get out of bed till 11:30. how bout friday afternoon? call me, u still got the number, dont u?
Old 11-14-2001, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no, i get up early every day.BUT when it's the WEEKEND and my work is done for the week and i don't HAVE to get up i don't appreciate phone calls at 8:30 in the morning.i called you back last week but i guess you didn't get the message.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BY THE WAY, U WERE VERY RUDE WHEN I CALLED! GOT SOME NICE GOSSIP FOR U TOO, CALL ME
Old 11-15-2001, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LJ lawn
anytime you want ...
You did opent the door for his call at the early am hrs -LOL!!! I would have taken this to mean biz hrs too, but since you didnt specify m-f you kinda left yourself open for an eager response.

Weve all been there and had those calls at the least opportune times too. Its just part of helping each other out. BTW might I suggest that you turn the ringer/volume down friday evening so not to be disturbed.

This is also the reason why the office line is a cellular number so that when the nextels off, so am I.

Kris