Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Landscaping Increases Property Value - GREAT Article

If you subscribe to "Landscape Management" magazine, then you probably already got their supplemental this month entitled "Livescapes." But you may not have noticed or read the article on page 7 entitled, "Color Commentary" by John R. Holmes. GREAT ARTICLE! This is the kind of article you hope for but can never find. Real actual facts and figures about how landscaping increases property value with percentages and everything!

I can't tell you how many times this happens each year where I am giving a bid to a customer who has or is planning on putting their home up for sale and I get asked, "I am not sure really how much we should put into landscaping. Do you really think it helps sell the house? Will I really see a return on my investment?" Of course, I promote landscaping as being very valuable but it's just me speaking. I stand to make money on saying yes to those questions. So my opinion is considered biased. But what I've always wanted was a magazine article like this one where I could point to real facts and figures from an industry expert in a leading industry journal!

This is like gold, guys. You should print out 50 copies of this article and keep it in a file in your truck at all times. Have it ready for when this question comes up. Having multiple copies you can hand out as opposed to one copy to show them is important because then the person you're talking to can take the article with them and show their spouse after you are gone, helping to convince the spouse as well.

I love the paper copy of this article. It's got larger print, better highlights, etc. So if you get that magazine, be sure to use the paper copy. But for those who don't, here is a link to the article online;

http://www.landscapemanagement.net/l.../detail/487461

p.s. like Turf and all the others, the paper copy of this magazine is free if you want to subscribe.....

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

idk, wish it was all rosy but i watched a program on ABC news the other night about the current state of real estate and they went through a neighborhood of million dollar+ homes that were recently built. while none were moving quickly, they pointed out one in particular where the owner put in 240k worth of landscaping (others were still bare bones builder lots) and the real estate agent pointed out that there was no way they would see a fraction of that amount back if they hoped to sell their home.

on the flip side, the days of buyers looking at houses strictly as an investment, but rather a home seem to be diminishing....so hopefully these long term homeowners will be pumping money back into their properties.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That article is a big fat dripping smelling bag of boo shiet. Kitchens and bath rooms along with master suites and media centers sell homes not landscaping. Real Estate is my hobby....
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If someone doesn't get out of their car and go in the house, it really doesn't matter what the kitchen looks like.

There should be a qualifier in his article - the landscaping in the front of the house is what truly matters. Well done = money well spent.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethead View Post
There should be a qualifier in his article - the landscaping in the front of the house is what truly matters. Well done = money well spent.
Did you guys even read the article? That's exactly what the article is talking about - how curb appeal and adding color and beauty to the landscape makes a big difference on buyer's first impressions.

Last edited by JimLewis; 02-11-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf'n'Turf View Post
idk, wish it was all rosy but i watched a program on ABC news ....they pointed out one in particular where the owner put in 240k worth of landscaping (others were still bare bones builder lots) and the real estate agent pointed out that there was no way they would see a fraction of that amount back if they hoped to sell their home.
I don't think you even read the article. It wasn't talking about quarter-million dollar landscaping projects. Of course you can't expect to see a return on that size job in most cases. The article is referring to dressing up the front yard - specifically, seasonal color, beauty, and about how neat or "perfect" appearance outside gives the buyer the impression that the inside is just as neat.

Last edited by JimLewis; 02-11-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the article Jim I see value in the article even if the part time landscaping, lighting, mowing, real estate guys don't.

Why would you spend your time to debunk a professionals attempt to help others in the industry? Jim is clearly one of the few professionals participating here on site that owns a company not a job. He has offered some information that he thinks will help him and he is willing to take the time to share the information with others. You can disagree if you want but why waste your time announcing to the world you think its a load of crap? Do you think that presenting the article will turn someone off to doing the work?

Its posts like that that make you wonder why bother.

Thanks again Jim. I'm sure I speak for others when I say we appreciate your contributions.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
I don't think you even read the article. It wasn't talking about quarter-million dollar landscaping projects. Of course you can't expect to see a return on that size job in most cases. The article is referring to dressing up the front yard - specifically, seasonal color, beauty, and about how neat or "perfect" appearance outside gives the buyer the impression that the inside is just as neat.
this ain't exactly new information....i'm sure they have relevant stats for painting and siding contractors, too. if it isn't a tool to help sell bigger jobs, then do you really need this info to sell a couple of thousand dollars worth of worth of work? i've done tons of quick fix me up jobs for both home owners and real estate agents, it a no-brainer. btw, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies during open house are always a big hit, too.

Last edited by Surf'n'Turf; 02-11-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool. Hey, I don't care to argue about it with you. If you see no value in the article, then don't use it. It's as simple as that. I just figured maybe some others would find it useful. If not, no big deal...move on to another thread then....

Old 02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the issue with real estate is it is currently a buyers market and buyers are looking for deals, lowballing offers, etc. i believe those stats may be somewhat skewed in todays market. i didnt see the stat listed in the article about mature tree increasing a properties value, which is the most common one i've seen over the years.