Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I plan on putting it in the mail with this years contracts. Marketing is everything.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp services View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the article. I plan on putting it in the mail with this years contracts. Marketing is everything.
are all your clients planning on selling their homes?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp services View Post
Property value going up at the time of sale is good for the seller but may be out of range of your most likely buyer. The tax man is a problem too.

Hardscapes and large plantings are the biggest risk and the most subject to personal opinion and useage. I have seen places that I could enjoy - "...if only they didn't have this Japanese Maple in the way." Landscapes could be looked at in the same light as the car in the driveway. "Does this Mustang convertable have to stay here? I would put the Firebird over there " Personal fit and personal choice.

A quick large hasta or 3 to cover a crack in the foundation is a practical sell, but a small brick pathway around the rose bush to the bird feeder may actually create a problem for the buyer when he thinking of ripping the roses out because they are in the way of the mower.'User friendly', is probably on the mind of many urbanites who take care of their own lawns.

Another good selling point could be to get rid of the weeds quick, then 'detox' the soil by overseeding and adding compost. For people who care, they would be happy to hear that nothing toxic has been applied to the soil for 16 months. "Yet the place place looks just great. Let's go inside."

The benefit of sending the article to your clients is that, it might get them thinking seriously about dressing the place up a bit.

If I need a disclaimer to say I am not taking one side or another, but look at benefits and deficits, of all sides as much as possible, and no comment was meant to crack on anyone, and the percieved idea and/or attitude, may or may not, be that of smallaxe, the profile, or signature... - consider it a disclaimer then.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those who are interested, here is another very similar article;

http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/index....=march03-cover

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone had experiences working with realtors?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People make decisions based on a number of things and their own personal circumstances. Do any of you actually think that by waving this article in front of a potential client, you will make a significant impact on their thinking and they will spend more money?

The same type of stuff was written as far back as I can remember. It has a far greater affect on getting landscapers and DIYers excited than it does on getting anyone else to throw down extra money on landscaping that they wre not already going to do.

It sells more magazines than landscapes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
For those who are interested, here is another very similar article;

http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/index....=march03-cover
Jim--- I must say you have a very very nice web site, you can be very proud of it!!! I'am also very jealous of the properties you take care of, but then your climate is much different than ours, yours is wet and ours is DRY!! Keep up the good work.

L. Lewis
General LawnCare
Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Has anyone had experiences working with realtors?
Um. Yes. Lots.

When I am working for a realtor on their own home, I usually have had a good experience.

But more often, realtors call us because they want a quick facelift for a home that is for sale. Usually just a clean-up, mulch, and a few seasonal color spot flowers. These experiences are 50-50. In the past, I had a lot of bad experiences. Like we'd do the work and then when it came time to collect the check, the realtor would say, "Oh, you'll have to talk to the homeowner about that. I was just arranging the work." and then I have to chase down Joe Homeowner for 30 days to get paid.

Nowadays almost all my experiences with realtors are positive. But I am very selective in working with realtors and I take lots of precautions when dealing with them and I make sure who is paying me and when - BEFORE I start the job.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
People make decisions based on a number of things and their own personal circumstances. Do any of you actually think that by waving this article in front of a potential client, you will make a significant impact on their thinking and they will spend more money?

The same type of stuff was written as far back as I can remember. It has a far greater affect on getting landscapers and DIYers excited than it does on getting anyone else to throw down extra money on landscaping that they wre not already going to do.

exactly, it didnt get me excited reading it nor would i run off copies and mail them to clients. however, as an example, if i were selling lighting and i had a stat that said the client could potentially save money on their homeowners insurance, that might be worth passing along....
Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post

I think it can serve as "justification" for one. I know when I invest in an upgrade on my house... it has to pencil out to whether I will get it back at resale. So I can see this as a major selling point... not only can you enjoy your landscaping now, but you are making an investment that will pay for itself down the road at resale by either selling it faster or getting a higher price.