Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All Pro and Lark trailers cheap on Ebay-Why?

These two seem to be substantially cheaper brand new than alot of used ones. Does anyone know if they are junk or what? They look nice from the pics...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ler&category0=
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a Lark dealer near me. Before I bought my Horton I looked at them closely. The price was nearly $2k lower than the Horton. The construction on the Lark was noticeably less (stud spacing, floor decking, etc). After looking them over closely and talking to several Horton owners, I went with the Horton.

NOW, after owning the Horton...if I had to do it all over again...I would buy a cheaper trailer. There are a lot of construction flaws in my trailer I don't like. I think mine was made on a Monday by some guys that were REALLY hungover!! My trailer was a tad over $5800.00. I could have bought a cheaper brand for a lot less.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All-Pro is out of Jacksonville, FL and as far as I know they are a good trailer distributer. My 5x14 is an All Pro and is very well built. My local John Deere dealer sells them as do all of the Highland Turf and Tractor branches.

As to why they are on ebay, I don't know. However I would recommend one based only on my experience with them. It has been good.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look at a Lark trailer in person before you buy. Believe me, when you compare Lark with one like Haulmark or Wells Cargo your choice will be clear. Enough said.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with those, but make sure whatever you get you go with quality. I spent $950 on a really solid but relatively light duty single axle over 10 years ago. It's still doing fine. I could probably sell it for $500 today. So it's cost me $45 a year. That's maybe $10/year more than the cheapo version I didn't get. Extrapolate the numbers for a more expensive unit, it's still not much difference.

Then think about the safety factor and how much your rely on your trailer to not have problems that cause you delays and cost money and time.

Finally the better the construction the better it'll look down the line when you decide to sell it, so you'll recoup the added cost then.

That doesn't mean higher price is always higher quality, though.

One thing I see missing on many trailers out there is a solid high quality wheeled "foot" up front to support the weight when unhitched and allow moving it around to hook up. Another is quality welds on any expanded metal mesh ramps and such. Spend the money required for good trailer brakes also. The more "homemade" a trailer is vs one made by a big company or a small one of longstanding, the more likely someone cut some corners.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have an all pro dump trailer. 7x14 13,200# gvw. Build quality is pretty good. Paint is weak in a few spots but no big deal.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Those trailers are made with the cheapest Chinese parts available at the time. The axles are problematic, the screws rust quickly, the front cap cracks (it's fiberglass). I would definately recommend a Pace American (Summit or Journey-Summit model) or a Wells Cargo. You definately get what you pay for!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

go with a well's cargo or a pace summit
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a Lark for a year now and it has been good other than quickly wearing out the tires. I hit a tree with it yesterday and crushed the upper left corner ( turning clockwise in a tight culdesac and wasn't paying attention to the trees jutting out of one yard.... ) anyway I hit that tree doing at least 8 mph and it stopped the truck and trailer instantly, faster than I could stop it with the brakes. Crushed the corner in and looks like hell, but the damage was far less than I expected considering the energy it absorbed

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about enclosed but I do know there's specifications,
to which there exist limits, all of which add up to tolerance margins.

Let me explain...
I spent good money on my single axle 6x12, $1,500 8 years ago, new.
It is rated to carry a LIMIT of 3 thousand pounds.

Now I'm really not trying to brag about the coolness of this because it's not cool,
but rather than making two trips I've loaded 4 thousand pounds on it more than
a few times.

I can't say the trailer enjoys being overloaded, it has over the years slightly bent
the frame but unless you look real close it's not visible, and it wears tires.
The axle and all the welds and everything else, however, appears intact.

So the real question is...

How much can a cheaper trailer tolerate?
It's not that I recommend overloading on purpose, hopefully you never have to.
But what if someone makes a mistake?

Paying the good money for a decent trailer is worth the peace of mind to me.