Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much meal onto a lawn per year?

Paul Tukey's book says the KBG needs 4-5 lbs of N per 1 K Sq ft, is this per year, per app? if per app how many apps per year?

I am trying to figure out of 40 lbs of CGM (4 lbs N / 1K sq ft) will be enough fertilizer for a Northern lawn for a year, (as for non-fert apps, I will also be applying compost tea once per month)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

like many will say it depends on several variables. for example are they watering during the summer (if so, you need more fertilizer), soil type (sandy soils need more fertilizer), grass type (blue needs more fert than fescues), shady area or sunny (sunny needs more fert), etc...

i would say 4-5 is plenty for a northen lawn on average. that is per year not per app.

sounds like you will be at the customers lawn 8-9 times at least this year. do you mind telling me how much an average 7K lawn would cost your customer? just trying to figure out how companies sell 8-9 application programs. it seems like a very hard sell, especially when most in this area are doing 4-5, some do 6, but that is rare. this is not including grub, aeration, overseeding, etc...just fertilization/weed control apps.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

7 times, the cgm alone for 7K will cost me 280 so I need to recoup that first. then the tea will cost 15 per batch at 5 apps so divided by 7 my cost is 50. I would have to charge close to 100 per app. Time to rethink....

Last edited by lawncuttinfoo; 02-12-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is generally not a good idea to use suggested rates for synthetic fertilizers in an organic program.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean by that kiril? I thought you put 10 -20 lbs of CGM per 1000 sqft. His numbers are showing 20lbs/ 1000 sq ft.
How long would you say that CGM will last before needing another treatment... I'm thinking here in Ga I heard it would be about once a month. Lots of sun and lots of heat, but lately not much rain. Any thoughts?
Maybe CGM isn't the way to go. Anyone know of a good Pre-M that is organic or just use a syn when absolutely necessary?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby08 View Post
what do you mean by that kiril?
The dynamics of nutrient management differ between synthetics and organics. How long your application lasts depends on environmental conditions, soil conditions, rate of microbial decomposition, etc....

There are other organic food sources to consider which may be easier to find in your area, and are more sustainable (i.e. you do not have to use CGM). If your looking to get some kind of pre-emergent weed control, then you will probably want to use CGM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, but i would probably only need to use it at the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall when the summer weeds start to appear and the winter weeds start to appear correct? not necessarily year round, a good healthy turf should keep them out.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
ok, but i would probably only need to use it at the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall when the summer weeds start to appear and the winter weeds start to appear correct? not necessarily year round, a good healthy turf should keep them out.
At risk of stating the obvious again, it depends on the site.

Here is an interesting survey of golf courses in Georgia.

An Economic Profile of Golf Courses in Georgia: Course and Landscape Maintenance

They noted:

In Georgia, weeds are the major problem in turfgrass maintenance because they grow year-round. To control their presence, pre-emergence and post-emergence herbicides may be used throughout the year.

In any event, your correct that the best weed control in turf is to provide conditions that give turf the competitive advantage over weeds.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, you keep up on all your readings don't you. I don't know how you find some of the stuff you pull out. I guess I'll try it maybe 3 times a year just to be safe. and then go from there.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't know how you find some of the stuff you pull out.
Many, many, years of searching the internet for information.
It is all in how you initially form and then refine your search query.