Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2001, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki oil quantity

Hi guys. I just recently bought a new Kawasaki 14 hp 420 for my wb and the oil has been over flowing the crank case, leaking out by the oil filter and cause the machine to run crappy. I check the owner's manual for oil quantity and it says 1.4 qrts. I am putting in 1 qrt when I don't take off the filter. I check the dip stick and it appears alright. My older kawasaki does fine with 1 qrt. I don't want to be low on oil but one qrt seems to give me problems. Have any of you guys had this problem?
Old 11-05-2001, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend that you take it back from wherever you bought it. Kawasaki has had troubles in the past with leaking base (oil pan)gaskets on their single cylinder engines. I took mine back 5 times to 2 different dealers before the problem was fixed.

Old 11-06-2001, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Is your engine leaking from the crank case. IF the answer is yes you should ask the dealer to fix it under warranty. If the answer is no were is it leaking. Please rember oil level is the most important maintanice you can do.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is leaking around the oil filter gasket. One mech said that I must be overfilling it and that the weakest seal is the one around the oil filter. Overfilling the crank case he said could cause the gas to mix in with the oil causing the engine to run crappy and reduce viscosity of the oil. The funny thing is 1 quart seems fine on the dip and is what I have used on the other kawi's I have. Maybe I will bring it back in a couple of weeks. It is still under waranty.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

scott's turf wrote:
One mech said that I must be overfilling it and that the weakest seal is the one around the oil filter. Overfilling the crank case he said could cause the gas to mix in with the oil causing the engine to run crappy and reduce viscosity of the oil.

Actually the seal around the oil filter is one of the strongest type of seals you can get. It is a compressed O ring seal. These seals are used on high compression racing engines to seal the heads to the cylinder block. The only difference being the racing engine uses a metal alloy O ring whereas the oil filter uses a rubber O ring. You would need oil pressure far in excess of what a Kawasaki makes to blow out a seal. I have seen engines blow the can right off of a oil filter and the seal never leaked.

Have you tried replacing the oil filter?

One of the sure signs that the engine has too much oil in it is the engine will blow out a big cloud of blue smoke when you start it.