Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not going to mail these. at the printers and my lap top it is not this dark. on my p.c it is very dense. i under stand the busy concept as well . i will do some more shortly maybe i will post befor ordering. i'm hoping the prints look like my laptop and not my pc
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your color settings are for CMYK, it should reproduce like it shows on screen. If you're looking at it in RGB, there's no telling what it'll turn out like.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

String.. if you have only done a few landscapes.. Im guessing your new to landscaping? My question is.. what did you buy a $137,000 machine for? Im guessing you had other uses for it? Why are you selling?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

paper cutter are you refering to my monitor settings
bailey that machine is not mine. my grader/friend is the owner
Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, it's how the graphics program works the colors. Maybe it involves monitor settings too, I don't know; but in a nutshell your computer creates colors by combining red, green and blue pixels. A commercial printer creates colors by mixing cyan (blue), magenta, yellow, and key (black). The professional design programs like InDesign will export your work in CMYK so you know exactly what the printer will do; most lower-end ones don't give you that option. I just designed my spring mailing in photoshop, and I knew I was close enough so I just sent the RGB output to the printer. What looked like a vibrant, kermit the frog green on screen was a little more muted, but that was ok.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just went out and purchased Microsoft Publisher 2007. It has the options of changing the colors from RGB to CMYK which allows you to get a more realistic color look. We also have a laser printer that prints in CMYK so what I print out is pretty accurate to the screen, or I can adjust to depending on how it prints. Publisher also allows me to set the bleeds and some other things to allow me to send the document to a commercial printer.

Best of all it only cost around $159 for the program and since I'm familiar with it it works for me.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Before you actually pay to have a bunch of postcards printed, you need to print just one out from your computer, and mail it as a test run.
One person previously mentioned this... there ARE specs when it comes to what the post office requires, you need to have enough white space for the bar code to be printed. Mail one to yourself to make sure it goes thru the mail ok.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1/2" on the bottom of the back, I believe, not counting bleed. I've seen the post office stick white stickers on the bottoms of cards to make a space for the barcode, but do you really want to bet a bulk printing run on that? Here's a good resource:
http://www.overnightprints.com/main....7992a2b5f07129

String, I know you said you weren't planning on mailing these, but if you format them for mail you'll at least have the option.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey i was thinking about doing post cards as well, for you guys that are doing them at home what type of paper are you printing yours on
Old 02-13-2008, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We do our mailers on cardstock.

You can go down to the postoffice and pickup a booklet that has all the information you'll ever need to know regarding mailing. It includes dimensions of all types of mail pieces, rates, as well as acceptable locations in order for a mail piece to be machinable/readable.