Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2001, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

What Do You guys think about a software call LawnMonkey?

hello everyone: I heard, its huge and many features You never will use. I heard Difficult to get it going. I heard is dificult and not to friendly. I heard is to expensive. I heard no to get it, for many reasons. Whats Your experience? Would You recomend it to me? I mow lawns and I am wondering about this program.?? Thank you. Lawnranger Az
Old 11-05-2001, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Welcome to Lawnsite.

First off, scroll down the main page to where you see Manufactured Sponsored Forums, and you will see where Lawn Monkey has their own separate forum to ask any questions.

Also on the main page, go to search. Type in Lawn Monkey and you find many discussions on this software.

You heard all of this stuff about Lawn Monkey, but have never tried it yourself. We don't slam any manufacturers here unless we can back up with facts any types of problems.

Take your time and read up on the threads. They will help you better in making an educated decision about Lawn Monkey.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: What Do You guys think about a software call LawnMonkey?

Quote:
Originally posted by lawnranger
hello everyone: I heard, its huge and many features You never will use. I heard Difficult to get it going. I heard is dificult and not to friendly. I heard is to expensive. I heard no to get it, for many reasons. Whats Your experience? Would You recomend it to me? I mow lawns and I am wondering about this program.?? Thank you. Lawnranger Az
I dont think it is huge....and the features on there should be used if they are not then that is ok too, but that won't effect anything else.

It is not difficult to get going. Since you are obviously on a computer already you know how to use one. So it shouldn't be hard to get going. Once you get going if you do run into any trouble Lawn Monkey's #1 support will help you through. (They have a forum on here..check it out)

If you are looking into getting a program as a investment to your business than No lawn monkey is not expensive compared to it's competitors. If you are just looking for something that is a general accounting program then I would start with quickbooks and then Lawn Monkey when you are ready.

The more customers you have the more you will need a good program to help your day to day business actions.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnranger,

Enough good cannot be said about the LM program. As a computer science graduate who formerly wrote his own code in dBASE 3, there is nothing I enjoy more than using a great program. The first program I purchased was prior to LM's inception, and it did an OK job, but there is no support, there are no updates, and they do not take suggestions for program development!!!!! Yeah it was a little more user friendly, but LM has come a looooong way.

I demoed one of the original versions of LM and was very underimpressed. I called the company president (Paul Jackson) and had a long discussion w/ him as to his program and what I believed were its many shortcomings. Well guess what. He listened and not just to me , but apparently to other users too.

LM has constant updates to the program. Their support staff knows their program inside and out and always responds to forum questions w/in 24 hours no matter how vague, pooly phrased or worded.

Do yourself a favor and....
1. Download a free trial version when you have a little time to "play" w/ the program
2. Go to the LAWNMONKEY FORUM and read some of the questions and replies
3. You will see for yourself that they are truely "the best" and they will suit your needs no matter how small or large your business is!

Bob
Old 11-05-2001, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not have it YET, but I did a search for you and found sevral threads on it.

Click here
Old 11-05-2001, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the first full season we have used lawn monkey. When we bought it I got the best version I could, even though we have yet to use every feature I know its there when we do.

When we sit down and say you know it would be great if we can do that.....I look at the software, and there is a way to do just what we were talking about.

You can track absolutely everything with this prog. The support is absolutely the best of anything I have ever seen.

We also use the LMDC (Lawn Monkey Data Collector for the palm pilot). If you have a good amount of lawns and work, do yourself a favor and get this prog as well. You would not believe the time it saves you and the info you can extract from it. They are readying LMDC2002 which I'm sure will be much better then the first. Including mapping software and some other really good stuff, and next season should be supporting pocket pc os's.

As mentioned by Bob, you cannot say enough good stuff about this program. Do yourself and company a favor and buy it.

PS> I am in no way affiliated with allocate software.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Biggest mistake you will ever make is NOT buying Lawn Monkey!
Old 11-05-2001, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You would think lawnranger and lawnmonkey would get along together!

We use lawnmonkey too and the program is very easy to use. Lm really save our company alot of time and money. Its a must have.

Do you use all the features that windows has to offer or your vcr?

You need to have a lot of features to please all the people that are using the program.

Tech support is the best i ever found!!!

Tony
Old 11-05-2001, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for software as well. Would you recommend the LawnMonkey over the Clip software? I just bought a PalmPilot last week as well. Can I load these programs or components of these programs into my PDA?
Thanks, Bill!
Old 11-06-2001, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we use the program. give yourself most of winter to learn and use all it's functions. practice, and do the tutorial, and practice some more, watch the video. and practice. it is not as easy to use aor start using as word, wordperfect, adobe, etc or any commercially available product. we use it for invoicing and routing, and plan to use it for more. You will need the good support they give, as you will have many questions. It will also take time to put in all your clients, along with preferences and zone locations on the map. to use this program to the most, expect to spend alot of time with it , say 100 hours or so, before you RELY on it to route and invoice for you. my partner had to learn it in the thick of the season, and it nearly did him in with mowing and learning how to use it. we are still learning after 6 months, and probably won't master it for another 6. good luck. Dave g