Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone here have saltwater fish tanks?

I just wanted to see on here who all had saltwater tanks and saltwater reef tanks??? I think they are relaxing and cool after coming home from a hard day of work! (that is after you get them running right)
Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do

Got a 85 FOWLR, and a 120 Reef. Have a sea-horse tank in the future plans too
Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much money do you have invested in your tank and how hard is it to maintain and start up? I am a long time Oscar tank kinda guy , but I have always wondered about salt water tanks.

Roll Tide Roll
Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 29 g biocube cycling right now and am having some problems with my amonia being way high! checked it today and it was 8.0!!! So i did a massive water change to see if i can get it down. Nitrate, Nitrite at 0, ph at 8.2 and salinity is at 1.023! Makes me mad and i am getting impatient!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^ Put is this way, at the beggining it isn't fun and is somewhat challenging to get your tank cycled and make sure everything(levels of salt, amonia, ph, nitrates, nitrates and temp is right). After that it isn't to hard, just do weekly water changes of about 15% of the amount of gallons and you should be fine. Now if you are going to have a coral tank it is alittle harder as you have more stuff to check out and need different lighting etc. The one thing i have learned from saltwater tanks is patience, but in the end they are def worth it and kick the crap out of freshwater fish!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare View Post
i have a 29 g biocube cycling right now and am having some problems with my amonia being way high! checked it today and it was 8.0!!! So i did a massive water change to see if i can get it down. Nitrate, Nitrite at 0, ph at 8.2 and salinity is at 1.023! Makes me mad and i am getting impatient!

IMHO, if you do a massive water change, it's like starting over. Your cycling the tank, and the spikes are normal. Most don't change the water, till you intro fish in to the tank, after the cycle. Don't forget to use R/O water too.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

90 gallon reef, 58 gallon fo....take your time, too big of a waterchange will start your cycle again
Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside View Post
IMHO, if you do a massive water change, it's like starting over. Your cycling the tank, and the spikes are normal. Most don't change the water, till you intro fish in to the tank, after the cycle. Don't forget to use R/O water too.
I Dont do saltwater right now but have one planned. I used to have a 240 reef tank as the headboard to my bed. Yes very relaxing.

On the Ammonia levels. Yes RO water is a must for reef tanks and you need to add in the proper minerals.... some of the better salts out there will contain the minerals. I have a thin film RO filter in my house. Only puts out 26 gpd so takes a few days to fill a larger tank. If I ever do a large large tank again we will be remodeling and have r/o water on tap and a drain at the tank.

Is your amonia peaking before introducing damsels or another hardy fish ? I always cycled my tanks with damsel fish. There is a product out there called RIGHT NOW! that will establish your nitrogen cycle in 1-2 days and its worked well in my freshwater tanks and claims its for saltwater too.

DO NOT do a water change why your tank is cycling. Some say 50% on water changes but I did it every 4 weeks with 25% changed.

A good test kit is a MUST if your going to do saltwater. Also dont get cheap on filtration. We ran a 30 gallon wet dry and also had protien skimmers and uv lighting as needed. The proper lighting is also a must with reefs. If you have never done a reef tank and want to I would highly recommend you let a pro set it up to get you going right and help you maintain it for the first couple of months. Its money well spent.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea i don't have my protein skimmer running yet as i heard it will slow down the cycle...i have been reading alot on the site saltwaterfish.com beings they have forums and it is very interesting! Even if my amonia is at 8.0 i should still add damsels? I figure even though they are such a hardy fish nothing could live through the amonia of that reading...then again i could be wrong! My last tank only took a week to cycle but this one is taking forever. I think the amonia might have killed all my live rock, maybe i have no idea!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go to reefmonkey.com if you have a thick skin, if not try, reefcentral.com...family friendly, both sites have tons of good information...steve