Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Xeriscaping

For the guys located in the western part of the US can you recommend any tips and books about xeriscaping?

I might as well embrace it now than later. Because there is less overhead, do you find yourself netting the same income as regular mow and blow maintenance companies?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is much different in many ways. The biggest issue is you can send anybody to a lawn and they have a good idea of what to do. Even if you think they did a poor job or worked too slowly. With Xeris there are many decisions to be made, what to trim, when to trim it, it how much to take off? Is that a weed or wildflowers? Does that look bad because of too much water or to little? Is that a rattlesnake or a bull snake? So if you think you have labor problems with mow and blow forget about Xeris maint.

Then there is the frequency, every other week is about as much as you can hope for unless they are major clean freaks. Monthly service is not unusual so you have to have at least twice as many clients to earn the same money. You don't have nearly as much in equipment. I bet you never knew you could wear the tines on a rake down to nothing, but they are cheap to replace.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpel2004 View Post
For the guys located in the western part of the US can you recommend any tips and books about xeriscaping?

I might as well embrace it now than later. Because there is less overhead, do you find yourself netting the same income as regular mow and blow maintenance companies?
Do want info on maint or installation. Xeriscaping does not require much maint. It is designed to be a natual landscape. There is a ton of information on the internet just do a search using google and you can get a ton of information on it.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

cactus, fountain and native grasses, yuccas, Big rocks, and drip irrigation! thats all! ha!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Xeriscape is just using plant materials native to the environment in a specific region. Xeriscape in Honduras would be lush tropical plants, it doesnt have to be cactus.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
cactus, fountain and native grasses, yuccas, Big rocks, and drip irrigation! thats all! ha!
The materials used in xeriscape will vary on your location but they can be quite decorative, use less water and require less maintenance. I really believe we will see more and more people switch to them as water becomes more expensive.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Xeriscaping was coined and trademarked by Denver Water. People often use the term without completely understanding what they're talking about. I've had people tell me their yard is xeriscaped just because they had rock everywhere. Xeriscaping basically is just using less water more efficiently and effectively. It all begins with the proper planning and design. Not too many people understand that turf is also a component of xeriscaping as well as using soil amendments, low water plants, mulches, efficient irrigation and maintaining the landscape properly. Water rights are worth more than gold out here and it's probably only going to get worse. So, as stewards of the green industry, we should all be conscience of using water wisely.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
Xeriscaping basically is just using less water more efficiently and effectively. It all begins with the proper planning and design. Not too many people understand that turf is also a component of xeriscaping as well as using soil amendments, low water plants, mulches, efficient irrigation and maintaining the landscape properly. Water rights are worth more than gold out here and it's probably only going to get worse. So, as stewards of the green industry, we should all be conscience of using water wisely.
Xeriscaping refers to landscaping in ways that do not require supplemental irrigation. It is promoted in areas that do not have easily accessible supplies of fresh water. The word Xeriscaping was coined by combining xeros (Greek for "dry") with landscape. Plants whose natural requirements are appropriate to the local climate are emphasized, and care is taken to avoid losing water to evaporation and run-off. XeriscapeTM and the xeriscape logo are registered trademarks of Denver Water, the water department of Denver, Colorado.[1] They were created by the Front Range Xeriscape Task Force of Denver Department in 1978.[1]

Some common plants used in xeriscaping are agave, cactus, lavender, juniper, sedum and thyme.

In some areas, terms such as water-conserving landscapes, drought-tolerant landscaping, zeroscaping, and smart scaping are used instead.

The above is the verbatum defination from From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia other plants used in my area are fortnite lilly, Nandina, african Daisy, Santa Barbara daisy. Please educate me where turf grass fits into water conserving landscape.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
Xeriscape is just using plant materials native to the environment in a specific region. Xeriscape in Honduras would be lush tropical plants, it doesnt have to be cactus.
yes i know its different elsewhere. im just saying around here, thats what it is. and joking a little bit. hard to see sarcasm on a computer...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Wikipedia lesson B Gerrits, but I obtain my information from the source and experience. You sound just like the majority of people when it comes to xeriscaping. Xeriscaping can definitely incorporate turf areas as well as efficient irrigation practices. As far as educating you about how turf areas can be incorporated in xeriscaping, I don't have the time. But, I'm pretty damn sure mixtures of buffalo grass, wheatgrasses, and blue gramma grass are all turfgrasses which require very little water and maintenance. Maybe you have the time to convince me otherwise.

Last edited by Tom B.; 02-23-2008 at 07:23 AM.