Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2001, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer Design

I need some advice on trailer design. I've done a search and didn't really find what I was looking for. Here's what I've got. 6 1/2 x 16' dual axle, open, utility trailer. There is a prison not far from here that I am going to take it to this off season and let them modify it. They do awesome work and they're very reasonable. It doesn't have a fold down gate, been using folding ramps to get me by (major pain in the @$$). The gate is priority 1. I guess what I am looking for is some advice on nice to have features i.e. folding gate up front for push mowers, ways to mount gas cans, weed eater, edger, blower rack etc. etc. I am running a Hustler Shortcut and a Lawnboy p.m. I plan to add a Hustler w.b. next year and I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel. Any advice would be appreciated and if I could get some pictures to show the guys doing the work would be great too. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2 ft dovetail on mine. Then the back gate is a split gate. I had a guy make it for me, he used some type of material that is very strong but very light. I can drive my car or tractor on it with no problems.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HLC,
If you're wanting to conserve space, and be completely efficient in use, access to equipment, and ability to transport, here are a few pics on this site. http://content.communities.msn.com/G...crubtruck.msnw
Pics #'s 14, 20, and 21 will probably be the most help to you.

They're not real close pics of the trailer, but it will give you an idea of how my spicerack is built. It has two teers, one on top for my pushmowers and edger, and a lower one that holds my backpack blowers, chainsaw, and hedgesaw. I also keep an Igloo cooler on it as well. My two trimmer racks are homemade as well, and are made out of smaller square tubing, with just some flatstock strips about 1/2" wide, cut and bent into J shape. The fronts are bent in a larger arc to hold the larger part of the trimmer and the rears are smaller to hold the end down by the heads. I just slipped hunks of old garden hose over the hooks for padding, and I welded D rings on the square tubing to allow me to strap the down. They doll move, wobble, or even roll or tip when transporting. They stay nice and snug. I mounted the shelf unit offset toward the back about 12" to allow me to put my rakes, shovels, and whatever else against the front of the cage. This also allows me to grab my pruners, oil, tarps, trimmer string, and other things (I keep a milk crate full of stuff) right out of the front of the trailer if I want. I hope this helps. If you have any questions about this type of setup or anything, feel free to ask. Good luck with it!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 11-06-2001 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make the gate 4' long, mine is 3' long and sometimes the deck drags. As for storing gas, hedge trimmers, chain saws, and pruners I have baskets in the front of the trailer that is two stories high. On the side of the trailer I have a trimmer rack that I bought from triple crown for 100 dollars. I haven't made a rack for the back pack blower yet or the spayer. I wish I had a camera so I could post it on here.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Screen in the bottom tow & add a rail -- this area makes fr perfect storage for gas cans, and a milk crate for hand tools, etc. Use a singleor double tiered crate across the front for back pack blowers, guys lunch coolers, etc. I hve a sttel late welded in the front of this crate which holds a 5 gal. cooler. I also have trimmer racks on passenger side rail added. Some people have set ups w/ crates over fender ells, place for spare tire, etc... It all dependa on your needs.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Runner, I to just purchased a 7x16 tandem trailer today and would like more info on your setup. Did you build the storage cage yourself? If so, do you mind sharing with me the specs on it like dimensions and such? How did you make the lid or cover for it? Also, a little more info on the trimmer rack. I to am going to have to make a ramp gate for my trailer as it does not have one. Looking to make it 4ft x 7ft. Would like to make one that could also double as a ramp for a car if I needed to haul one. I have a 67 Mustang and 64 Thunderbird. You can reply via this thread or email me off line if you wish. If any body else has any suggestions, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any info provided.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have full ramp style end gate, I suggest have spring assist added. Almost all of our trailers have had this added. Some of our trailers have had the steel gates replace with aluminum ones. This will reduce back strains and injuries, steel gates can be quite heavy depending on design.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

HLC,
I don't know about your setup.
As a solo op, this configuration works extremely well for me.

Although no depicted here, I drive my Walker off the back ramp and the eXmark WB off either front gate, depending upon the parking situation. Minimal unloading time.

All gates have lift-assists using automotive-style leaf springs.
Note trimmers and blower are racked up and locked, make sure you can lock your small stuff up.
The tool box can be gotten for ~$150,-very convenient for blades, shears, saws, funnels, trash bags, oil, etc.

Depending upon your current trailer's design, you may not be able to add a side gate. Most trailers rely upon upper tubes running fore and aft to form a truss which adds strength and rigidity to the whole.

My trailer has a 5" c-channel undercarriage to carry the load. The upper tubes are taken out of the load-bearing equation.
Just food for thought.

Roger
Old 11-07-2001, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Oops,
Here it is:
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2001, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen several guys this season modify their 16' and longer trailers with mesh cages on the sides of their trailers to store catcher plates. This way if they are'nt bagging they can store the plates.

They have also mounted a mesh-type crate system on their fenders to store fuel cans/oils. I would recommend that a split gate, 4' in height would be recommendable.

I have also seen where one guy had a gate for his trailer that was mesh and angle iron just like a regular gate only his gate was split horizontally instead of vertically. He had two handles welded to the side of the ramp for lowering and raising it. He claims that this system gives him the room he needs to carry his bagger unit on his Z w/o any problems that a full size gate would give him on his smaller trailer.

Hope this helps add food to their thoughts.
Kris